Please recommend some SACDs
Nov 8, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by freeflight
I am a Gould fan too. I have almost all the Gould's Bach, around 25 CDs. I have both 55 and 81 Goldberg variations, and the DVD. I might pick up Murray Perahia's Goldberg variation SACD for the time being.

I ordered three pure DSD multi-channel SACDs from tower.com, Mahler'1st, Four Seasons by Moscow Chamber, and Carmina Burana.

Which Mahler 1st do you have?

Nov 8, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
yeah, i meant dsd mastered recordings.

thanks for the tip on the 1981 gould goldbergs. let's see, i have the 1950's version on mono vinyl, fake stereo tape, remastered mono cd, the 1981 version on vinyl, and cd. so if i get the "state of wonder" sacd that will be i think 6 versions to choose from. i'm tempted, though. i'll check out that website, thanks.

The "new" 1981 version is significantly better than the original, poor digital version. That was one of the early digital recordings; the engineers were inexperienced with digital recordings, and it shows.

Nov 8, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #18 of 27
Of course, Michael Tilson Thomas' SACD according to your recommendation.
biggrin.gif

I have Bernstein's Mahler's 1st on redbook CD.

Nov 8, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #19 of 27
freeflight,
i saw the 1981 gould goldberg video on the cbc a few weeks ago. it was wonderful. have you seen "22 short films about glenn gould" yet?

isn't peter gabriel's latest available on sacd?

Nov 8, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Of course, Michael Tilson Thomas' SACD according to your recommendation.
biggrin.gif

I have Bernstein's Mahler's 1st on redbook CD.

I have Bernstein's Mahler, too (the Columbia version, not the DG). Please let me know how the MTT SACD compares to the Bernstein after you've given it a listen.

Nov 8, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

freeflight,
i saw the 1981 gould goldberg video on the cbc a few weeks ago. it was wonderful. have you seen "22 short films about glenn gould" yet?

isn't peter gabriel's latest available on sacd?

I saw the "32 Short Films About Glenn Gould" when it was released. I thought it was an excellent film, one that showed Gould's, er, peculiarities and musical talent quite well.

Nov 8, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #23 of 27
yeah, "32 short films...". oh well.
redface.gif

i really enjoyed it too. it explained a lot i didn't understand about the man. i think i'll stop by tower tomorrow and see if they have "state of wonder".

Nov 8, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

yeah, "32 short films...". oh well.
redface.gif

i really enjoyed it too. it explained a lot i didn't understand about the man. i think i'll stop by tower tomorrow and see if they have "state of wonder".

I thought that maybe you had to leave the film after the first 22 and never saw the last 10
biggrin.gif

Seriously, pick up "A State of Wonder." There is a third disk (I paid $14.99 at Tower--the three disks sell for the price of one!) that is an interview the critic Tim Page did with Gould. The funny thing is that Gould scripted it.

Sony has also reissued all of their Gould Bach CDs in their original covers under something called "The Glenn Gould Anniversary Edition." I've picked up about six of them so far--I love the two editions of the "English Suites." Tower had a sale on them a few weeks back--they were selling for $9.99 each (I think they regularly sell for $12.99.

Nov 8, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #25 of 27
Most of my Goulds are the The Glenn Gould Edition, white cover ones using Super Bit Mapping.

There are some major deals about The Glenn Gould Edition (not the annversary ones) at tower.com. The regular two CDs set are $13.99, and are about $28 elsewhere. I bought
Glenn Gould Edition - Bach: French Suites, Overture $13.99
Glenn Gould Edition - Bach: Partitas, Preludes & Fugues $13.99
Glenn Gould Edition - Bach: Toccatas BWV 910-916 $13.99
Glenn Gould Edition - Bach: English Suites BWV 806-811 $13.99

For those single disc versions (such as Art of Fugue, 2 & 3 part Invertions), and those 2 CD version not on sale (Concerto for Violin and Harpsichord, etc.), you can get them from www.mysony.com at $8 and $20, respectively. You need to register and click some ads to earn points though.

Nov 8, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Most of my Goulds are the The Glenn Gould Edition, white cover ones using Super Bit Mapping.

There are some major deals about The Glenn Gould Edition (not the annversary ones) at tower.com. The regular two CDs set are $13.99, and are about $28 elsewhere. I bought
Glenn Gould Edition - Bach: French Suites, Overture $13.99
Glenn Gould Edition - Bach: Partitas, Preludes & Fugues $13.99
Glenn Gould Edition - Bach: Toccatas BWV 910-916 $13.99
Glenn Gould Edition - Bach: English Suites BWV 806-811 $13.99

For those single disc versions (such as Art of Fugue, 2 & 3 part Invertions), and those 2 CD version not on sale (Concerto for Violin and Harpsichord, etc.), you can get them from www.mysony.com at $8 and $20, respectively. You need to register and click some ads to earn points though.

Have you compared the sound of the GG Edition doubles to the new Anniversary ones? One reason why I like the new ones is that they have the original covers. The ones I own sound good, too.

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #27 of 27
FCJ, no I did not.
I do not like the box of the Anniversary edition. I only have the Anniversary version of Italiano Concerto, which I am not very familiar with. I guess they sound similar if both use the Super Bit Mapping technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back