Please recommend phones for ipod shuffle
Feb 10, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by cozmo5050
---sorry to get off the subject a little bit.. but (IMHO) i'd suggest u return/sell the ipod shuffler and get yourself the Creative Muvo TX FM (128mb -1gb).

This would help u by:
1) giving u the 'best' because,
2) being more economical and nifty( has FM radio and Voice recorder!)
3) uses 1 AAA battery rather than the shuffle's internal/unreplaceable rechargable(what if the battery goes bad? w/ the muvo, i just change out/recharge the AAA battery)
3) actually has an LCD screen....
4) exclusivity? ( buying it would mean 1 less person with an ipod).
biggrin.gif

review of TX FM:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Creative_MuV...-30906242.html

review of iPod Shuffle:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_iPod_S...-31256885.html

i dont have anything against ipods, i applaud their innovation/marketing. i just think the creative muvo tx fm is a much better product for your money, just as reliable, just as small, and comes with more features.
(in my very humble, humble opinion).

OK, as far as headphones, if value is not a concern... try ultimateears.com or other vendors like that. get some custom-molded earphones professionally done by an audiologist. (wish my wallet was as thick as yours)
tongue.gif

Alas, Welcome to Head-fi ! im new myself.
basshead.gif

Keep your iPod Shuffle, run nothing less than 320AAC, (forget ITMS altogether), and get either ER4Ps or, for use with any home or portable source, UE-5c's...

The Muvo is a POS. Cnet is a well-known, infamous septic tank of disinformation when it comes to any and all things Apple, and that has always been the case. Trusting a 'review' from Cnet of an Apple product is like trusting your Shuffle will still be on the Subway car waiting for you if you leave it in your seat when you disembark and go home without it
icon10.gif

The tight integration with iTunes and the Shuffle means that an LCD is not actually necessary for what the Shuffle's intended purpose is. Want an LCD screen? You'd obviously have to cough up the money and buy an iPod, iRiver HP320/340, a Karma, or a Zen. But I think you know this already, as a Mac user; I know I do.

And get ready for WAY too many people on this forum giving you all kinds of unsolicited advice, much like Cnet and John C. Dvorak, about dumping your mac audio and computer stuff for 'product X' (usually, whatever they have, which is 'far superior' to Apple products, yada yada)... you'll get used to laughing at it after awhile, I predict.

The Shuffle, which I have heard (A/B'ing 128AAC and 320AAC) with Sensa (ProPhonic), UE-5c's, UE-10 Pros, ER4p's, Senn HD-25-1s, ER6i's, E2cs, E3cs, E5cs, and Westone ES2s, is great at what it is meant to do. The trail of * dead * Muvos that I've seen would stretch halfway to my nearest Apple store.

If you try 320AAC, your present canalphones, and audition whatever you can, you'll find the 'sweet spot'. Good luck!

Feb 10, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #32 of 46
I tried my girlfriends shuffle with my E3s and a friends Er6i. I think it is an excellent sounding player, plus I enjoy its sound over the full size ipods. If money is not a concern however, I would get an Iriver player as they have a better output (better for powering headphones), and an excellent equalizer. The shuffle is a great player though. If money is not a concern also, I would definately get some Sensas or UE10 pro, but would not ever replace my shures for any of the Etys (Unless you want detail at the loss of musicality, and full sound).

Feb 10, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by chumley
Keep your iPod Shuffle, run nothing less than 320AAC, (forget ITMS altogether), and get either ER4Ps or, for use with any home or portable source, UE-5c's...

The Muvo is a POS. Cnet is a well-known, infamous septic tank of disinformation when it comes to any and all things Apple, and that has always been the case. Trusting a 'review' from Cnet of an Apple product is like trusting your Shuffle will still be on the Subway car waiting for you if you leave it in your seat when you disembark and go home without it
icon10.gif

The tight integration with iTunes and the Shuffle means that an LCD is not actually necessary for what the Shuffle's intended purpose is. Want an LCD screen? You'd obviously have to cough up the money and buy an iPod, iRiver HP320/340, a Karma, or a Zen. But I think you know this already, as a Mac user; I know I do.

And get ready for WAY too many people on this forum giving you all kinds of unsolicited advice, much like Cnet and John C. Dvorak, about dumping your mac audio and computer stuff for 'product X' (ususally, whatever they have, which iis 'far superior' to Apple products, yada yada)... you'll get used to laughing at it after awhile, I predict.

The Shuffle, which I have heard (A/B'ing 128AAC and 320AAC) with Sensa, UE-5c's, UE-10 Pros, ER4p's, Senn HD-25-1s, ER6i's, E2cs, E3cs, E5cs, and Westone ES2s, is great at what it is meant to do. The trail of * dead * Muvos that I've seen would stretch halfway to my nearest Apple store.

If you try 320AAC, your present canalphones, and audition whatever you can, you'll find the 'sweet spot'. Good luck!

---WOW. this thread just took a HUGE 180 degree turn(way off subject)...
My unbiased opinion would tell u that the post from Chumley is good advice as far has headphones and music ripping/downloading quality.

But who's flaming here? Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumley
The Muvo is a POS. etc etc etc...

just to clarify, it's not the muvo, it's the muvo tx fm.
Like i have been stating this whole time, i like most apple products.

if u wanna make fun of cnet...yeah, i dont agree with eveything they say.. BUT go do searches for reviews on OTHER sites.

If u want to get into more detail, maybe i should start a poll voting:

1) The Creative Muvo TX FM is a 'POS' !
or
2) The iPod Shuffle is a high-tech TAMPON / barebones mp3 player utilizing VERY GOOD MARKETING????.

Ive held both the ipod shuffle and the muvo in my hands. As an audiophile/tech junkie, i would buy the the creative muvo tx fm for myself, and the ipod shuffler for my girlfriend, or grandma. (all IMHO) Cheers. LOL. just my 2 cents.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

buddy, you were the one who derailed this thread (though Nser Uame certainly tried).

Feb 11, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

My unbiased opinion would tell u that the post from Chumley is good advice as far has headphones and music ripping/downloading quality.

But who's flaming here?
just to clarify, it's not the muvo, it's the muvo tx fm.
Like i have been stating this whole time, i like most apple products.

if u wanna make fun of cnet...yeah, i dont agree with eveything they say.. BUT go do searches for reviews on OTHER sites.

If u want to get into more detail, maybe i should start a poll asking:

1) Creative Muvo TX FM is a 'POS' !
or
2) The iPod Shuffle is a high-tech TAMPON / barebones mp3 player utilizing VERY GOOD MARKETING????.

Ive held both the ipod shuffle and the muvo in my hands. As an audiophile/tech junkie, i would buy the the creative muvo tx fm for myself, and the ipod shuffler for my girlfriend, or grandma. (all IMHO) Cheers. LOL.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Off to a great start on headfi, eh, 'lil fella? Attitude's no substitute for information.

Um, yeah. Like I said, the 'Muvo TX FM', to be literal, is a POS, IMO. I've seen many in various states of non-useability, working in the (U.) education field. I've used both the Muvo TX FM and the Shuffle; the Shuffle is no Faberge egg, but it's plenty sturdy and useful for the purpose it was intended. The Muvo does not have anywhere near the software/hardware, computer DAP integration that Apple pioneered, so an LCD screen's kinda a necessity with the Muvo TX FM. He wasn't asking for your take on his DAP purchase, he was asking what 'canalphones' would be good with the Shuffle HE'S ALREADY CHOSEN TO PURCHASE.

Now toddle on off to the Portable forums and come up with another nickname for DAPs you dislike; 'tampon' and 'gift for your girlfriend/grandma' in one post is something I imagine you'd scrawl on a middle school lavoratory wall. Which may have been where you got the entire idea, seeing as how you trust Cnet's Apple reviews so much.

Having 'held' both, congratulations. As I stated in my first post in this thread, I've HEARD both, and it's no contest.

Good luck going places with these forums, cozmo5050. So far, you are leading with your mouth, so I can't really take your posts any more seriously than if you'd spray-painted them on your skateboard.

Feb 11, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #36 of 46
i just realized i made a mistake about giving my opinion regarding mp3 players. it seems this subject is as sensitive as talking about abortions to some people.

Chumley, Dont ever attack my quality of character. it was very cordial of u to do so.
--what field specifically do u work in education? How many electrical engineers do u know that skateboard? if u catch my drift. im gonna let u win out of exhaustion from typing.

again, im gonna stop talking about ipods, and i am gonna apologize to AkiraKodi for going off on a tangent. welcome to Head-fi.org

Feb 11, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

i just realized i made a mistake about giving my opinion regarding mp3 players. it seems this subject is as sensitive as talking about abortions to some people.

Chumley, Dont ever attack my quality of character. it was very cordial of u to do so.
--what field specifically do u work in education? How many electrical engineers do u know that skateboard? if u catch my drift. im gonna let u win out of exhaustion from typing.

again, im gonna stop talking about ipods, and i am gonna apologize to AkiraKodi for going off on a tangent. welcome to Head-fi.org

i know 2 EE's and a neurologist who skateboard. anyway, it wasn't the discussion of the iPod that was the problem, though that discussion doesn't belong in this part of the forum, it was the derailment and attitude that were the problem.

Feb 11, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

I don't care if you can edit nuclear submarine electrical schematics from * memory *, you come across like a real 'Beavis', to quote another forum member's reply to your DT880 question.

I've worked as a professional Audio/Video Consultant for over 20 years. I've also worked, largely concurrently, at a local University as a Faculty member for over 15 years, instructing University students and professionals in Audio and Video/Multimedia training and education. I earned an MS from MIT back in the day, and was involved in the first months of MIT's Media Lab, which was founded in 1985 by former MIT president Jerome Wiesner.

I occasionally lapse into rudeness, I admit. Usually, though, it's due to an obvious 'boundary issue' writ large (pun intended) by another forum member; in this case in your hijacking the thread's thrust and your enthusiastically p*ss poor attitude.

The skateboard comment was a lazy stab at sarcasm, and I * apologize * to any skateboarders out there... as a CA surfer growing up, I took a lot of guff from 'civilians', as well (I once did a logo for Santa Cruz Skateboards, back in the 80's, for next to nothing... just because I believed in their 'mission', as it were).

Feb 11, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #39 of 46
yeah, i will admit to getting out of hand. as a newb to this forum, ill try and be more tame in my comments.

---Chumley, nice portfolio.

Feb 11, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jellygoose
Also, your points aren't valid. Display is negligable

i hope to god that your accidentally misusing the word negligable and meant neccessary.

Feb 11, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #42 of 46
AkiraKodi: What is your budget for headphones and do you prefer canal phones or regular headphones?

Also, what type of music do you listen to and do you ever intend to use these headphones as your home phone as well?

Feb 11, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #43 of 46
These are my recomendations for headphones for a portable device, I have no experince with the iPod shuffle so keep that in mind. Also take note that overall sound quality is the deciding factor for headphones to make the list, comfert, portability and the like are taken into consideration but not as much as sound quality.

First Team:
Sennheiser PX100
Grado Labs SR60
Sony MDR-E888LP

Notable Mentions:
Shure E2C

Not Recomended:
Maxell EB425
Maxell HP550
Koss The Plug
Sony MDR-EX71LP
Stock iPod Earbuds

The three I have on the First Team are all around exelent in my opinion. The PX100s have good bass impact for open supraaural headphones. The SR60s are as smooth as a babys bottom with the attitude of Tommy Lee and Pam thrown in when the time calls for it. The E888s present something in earbuds that is truely rare, glorious sound with resolution and highs that rival the best of headphones around the world. They are not smooth and musical but what they lack in smoothness they make up for in detale and exuberant personality.

The Shure E2Cs have a good sound but lack high impact bass at sustainable listening levels and are not known for being universaly comfortable. They also can be bested to one degree or another by the E3C, and Etymotics ER-6 and ER-6i.

Koss' The Plug has huge overbearing bass, and little else, even isolation. The EX71s are bass monsters as well but with a little more frequency responce but somehow they sound a little worse than The Plug.

Feb 11, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #44 of 46
I don't mean to completely derail this topic again, BUT...

Quote:

Originally Posted by chumley
icon10.gif

Dude, have you seen cnets iPod reviews? The 4G is their highest rated MP3 Player EVER, 9.0. The mini got an 8.7. They gave the the shuffle a very fair 7.0. Saying their biased against the iPod is silly, to say the least.

And I have no idea what you are talking about with Creative's poor software. Yes, their software sucks. But the muvo doesn't use any software. But I suppose if you want it to work with iTunes, to each his own.

Anyhow, to get back on track here, I'd stay with your e3s.

Feb 11, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #45 of 46
I was offline for 2 days and came back to 3 pages of replies! Wow. For those of you who offered me advice on what I asked, Thank You for your time. And for those that went off...thanks for the entertainment!

My comments on the shuffle:
I keep my music library in itunes in my g4powerbook which I use daily. So I don't really need the 40 gig ipod photo anymore. The shuffle does sound just as good to me, theres no hard drive noise and I'm pretty good at making playlists so the lack of screen doesn't matter.

The reason I will keep the shuffle and recommend it most: Its extremely easy to carry, and operate. much easier than the ipod. You hardly know its there, and it fits anywhere. When its in my pocket, I can change songs, pause or change the volume from outside the pocket without even removing it.

I wouldn't recommend it for someone who's away from thier computer for extended periods of time.

I listen to all types of music, audiobooks ect. and will use whatever phones I decide to stick with, from multiple devices, (ipod, powerbook, and whatever comes next) So for now I will demo the sensa's and keep the e3c's.

Thanks Again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back