Please recommend me the absolute best IEM's or over the ear headphones for under $25
Aug 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

LordKtulu

New Head-Fier
I've never really owned any good earphones the best I've had were Skullcandy Ink'd but I have been researching to try to narrow down the absolute best earphones I can buy for under $25. I hear a lot about Monoprice , Sennheiser, MEelectronic, Koss, but I want something that I'll notice a huge improvement over the Skullcandy Ink'd. Also I do like a lot of bass but not to the point where it drowns out mids and highs but to where it sounds punchy and clean. I know I can't expect the greatest sound quality for under $25 but I want to find the best in that price range, so give me good recommendations based on your experience with IEM's or over the ear headphones. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 19
I've heard that the Koss Porta Pro are quite good, the only problem is that they can rip a little hair of when you take them of, because they have a metal headband, and they aren't very well bulit, but they sound very well. Also they look weird so they aren't really too use in the street. The IEM's I know that are very good are the Vsonic GR99 that sound very good and are well built.

Good Luck

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 19
Oh the Porta Pros frequency response is 15-25000 Hz and the Monoprice 8323 is 20-20 Hz but I don't really know if that is much of a difference I assume it would mean the bass is better (first time buying headphones so i'm pretty clueless)

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 19
This is from an article I read, every word is true:

"It’s a common misconception that the wider the frequency response the better the headphones will sound. Unfortunately this is a long way from the truth, it also makes choosing products more difficult as some models have the exact same frequency response yet sound completely different. For example the Beyerdynamic DT831 quotes a frequency response of 5-32000Hz while the DT770pro quotes 5-35000Hz. From this measurement you could assume that both have low bass but the DT770pro has more high end. In reality the DT770pro is one of the bassiest headphones Beyer has to offer while the DT831 is one of the least bassy and the high end detail on the DT831 is better than that of the 770pro.

Why is this? Because a frequency range only tells you theoretical maximum and minimums, it doesn’t tell you how even that response is. Coupled with that the range of human hearing is only 20-20000Hz, and most source equipment isn’t even capable of reproducing those ranges (certainly not most portable players or PC soundcards)."

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 19
I like over the ears and am willing to consider them if they have good enough ratings but I've heard that for a $25 price range you're better off buying IEM's but I'm not sure.
I just want something with deep bass that is noticeably better than Skullcandy Inkd

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 19
I just want something with deep bass that is noticeably better than Skullcandy Inkd

The problem you may have here is that few people are probably familiar with those earphones. Skullcandy has the reputation on head-fi of not being a good buy. Might be hard for people to tell you for sure that it has "deep bass" better than those earphones.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 19
Yea I know a lot of people say Skullcandys are overrated but they were worth it for the price I got them and to me sounded good but if everyone thinks Skullcandy sucks then what do they prefer for that budget?

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 19
SHE 3590

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #14 of 19
Consider Monoprice 9396, Philips SHE 3590, Soundmagic ES20 (+$5), Soundmagic ES18, AWEI ES900i & Vsonic GR99

personally I'd go with Vsonic GR99 (Build, Comfort & Wide Variety of Genres) Just make sure to get the silver edition to make sure that your cable's are really durable and TPU coated (the old gr99 cable sucks though)

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 19
The JVC HA-S400 and the Koss PortaPro are both very good bang for the buck headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back