Please recommend me some nice headphones for commuting
Sep 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ocean7

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am looking for headphones for commuting, bus and metro. I do not like IEM's, I am looking for something relatively compact, I am biased toward Sennheiser and I have a budget between $100 and $200
smily_headphones1.gif

I was thinking about the HD-25 (the cheaper version) but I read they are not too comfy. The portable Senns... hmmm... I don't know. They look kind of cheap and the collapsible design makes me wonder. The Grado SR-60 looks like a good choice too but since they are open I might get annoyed by the noise around.

Any suggestion?

Thanks and have a great day!

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 8
If you have a budget between $100 and $200, you may even want to try the more expensive HD25-I/II. Most people seem to love them (even famous people! Look at the wikipedia images of Bob Sinclar and DJ Sammy and see which headphones they are using).

Sep 11, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 8
You might want to forget about open headphones -- for your sake as well as the sake of people around you. I'm an in-ear person myself, for maximum portability and isolation (plus I wouldn't want the clamping often necessary to ensure some isolation in portable closed headphones ... commuting is enough of a headache as it is, although good audio helps!), but I like Sennheiser headphones and I've read a lot of good things about the HD25-I/II's, as mentioned above ...

Would you want small, portable headphones, or would full-size closed headphones be OK for your purposes?

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you want small, portable headphones, or would full-size closed headphones be OK for your purposes?

Thanks! I'd rather avoid the full sized headphones, otherwise I could take my HD-555. That,s why I am interested in the Hd-25 as they seem to be abit more compact (and closed).

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 8
Sennheiser makes nice headphones-try out something like a HD25. HD201 is another option (but could be a bit big).

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 8
I don't know how loud the Montreal Metro is, but here in DC, it's too loud for any on ear headphones. None of them isolate all that well. The ones that isolate at all are uncomfortable because the clamp so hard. The best isolating headphones are the HD280 Pros, but they're circumaural, clamp hard and have a 2 meter cord.

You best option, if you don't want an IEM, is probably that noise canceling Audio Technicas, AT ANC-7. IEMs will sound better though.

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 8
I would reccomend the Sennheiser PMX200:

51pmx200.gif

They're streetstyle, so low-profile (and dont mess up haircuts). And while they have no soundstage whatsoever, they are remarkably clear, dynamic and punchy.

Isolation isn't the best, but not as bad as open headphones. And leakage is small enough to be a non-issue, even for people sitting next to you on the commute.

I've tried the HD 25-SP, and while they isolate better, SQ suffers, and they are less comfortable, and bigger/more noticable.

Second choice would be the Audio-Technica ES7, although I found them to be an awkward fit personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back