Please recommend me some classical music
Jul 19, 2004 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fl00r

100+ Head-Fier
Among styles like (Symphonic) rock, punk, hip-hop and jazz I like classical music. In that genre I like Rossini (especially La Gazza Ladra. This was in fact my first meeting with Lady-Classic. It’s on a cd from Marillion; I can’t remember the name of.) And Wagner. To go short: I like the bombastic kind of (classical) music
basshead.gif

Any sugesstings wich dead mucisians to check out?
icon10.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by bombastic but 1812 Overture is very loud and fun, which explains its popularity despite not being among Tchaikovsky's best work. I recommend the recent Telarc recording.

Jul 19, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 4
Try some Prokofiev and Stravinsky. They have a bit more of the type of sound world that would appeal to you, IMO, energetic, percussive, and a bit violent.

Jul 29, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 4
For Stravinsky, I highly recommend his Rite of Spring. It was so shocking when it was first performed, it caused a riot, leading to several injuries
eek.gif
I have a few versions of it, and the David Atherton BBC National Orchestra of Wales version is my personal favorite, Pierre Monteux w/ the Paris Conservatoire coming in a close second. However, I have heard so many fantastic reviews of Valery Gergiev and the Kirov Orchestra, that I might suggest his as well. I have not heard it yet, but I might have to break down and add it to my collection. I'd stay away from the von Karajan, Stockowski, and Bernstien versions, as they tone down and essentialy destroy the powerful nature of this work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back