Please recommend me full size headphones for Trance, Jpop, and modern orchestral
Aug 25, 2016 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MRK1

100+ Head-Fier
I am getting desperate in trying to find a headphone with a sound signature that I like. I have weird taste in music and it seems I have an even weirder taste for sound signature. Right now my favourite audio apparatus I own is unironically the VE Monk. I absolutely love the sound of these diminutive $5 bucks earbuds, also they're supremely comfy, I just can't even feel them in my ears. They have light bass and somewhat unengaging highs without some EQ, usually the EQ I apply to them is V shaped, I only raise the bass and the highs a bit.

That being said, I want a pair of full size headphones because I can't believe my endgame is a cheapo $5 bucks earbud. There has to be something out there that sounds better without me having to spend a fortune.

My main listened to genres are Trance and more specifically Uplifting and Vocal Trance, Jpop and Japanese Eurobeat, and modern orchestral (this means sountrack style music).
I also listen to many other genres, in fact I think I listen to pretty much every genre except Metal but these are my favourites genres.

Trance & Jpop/Eurobeat have in common the fact they're fast paced, pretty complex with many synth lines going on at the same time, and emphasis on female vocals. Modern orchestral has similar layered soundscapes, with a focus on string instruments. Some of them have female vocals as well, mostly in the forms of aahhhs and ooohhss, faux latin and stuff like that, also soundstage is important in this genre.

So I assume I want something with lots of details, very engaging and forward highs & mids, and tight punchy bass that can go low when needed or with EQ, and with decent soundstage.

I've tried a few and they've been pretty bad for me. First of all the Sennheiser HD598 looked perfect on paper but turned out disappointing. Bass was severely lacking (even compared to the Monk) and overall they sounded veiled. Voices sounded kinda muted and distant. So I sent them back, and since my main issue with them was the lack of bass, I opted for the bassiest Sennheiser, the Urbanite, but while these have a very nice bass (I don't think they're "massive bass" like Sennheiser claims) they have the same laid back highs and mids that the 598 had if not even more, so these are going back, they're also very uncomfortable so even more reason to get rid of them. I think the Urbanite have the same sound as the JVC HA S660 that I have barely ever used, but with maybe a bit more clarity and bass. Other than that I've never used full size headphones.

So to wrap this up, I want something that has:
  1. Very forward mids & highs
  2. Good clarity and "Speed"
  3. Tight punchy bass that can keep up with 140bpm or higher basslines without sounding muddy and sloppy
  4. Low impedance, no need for amp
  5. Full size over ear
  6. Open or semi open would be preferred
  7. Comfy
  8. Basically the glorious Monk but blown up to full size and with "bigger" sound (bass, soundstage, clarity)
  9. Budget is up to 150€ and I expect it to sound at least 30 times better than the Monk because math
    tongue_smile.gif

I don't care about:
  1. Style
  2. Portability
  3. Build quality
  4. Fancy accessories

Thank you very much in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back