Please recommend me best full sized headphones for home use with Ipod
Jul 13, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #16 of 33
Did you guys see his budget? It's friggin' large. I would recommend the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000, because it easily fits your budget, and can be driven well by anything. Grado, AT, Ultrasone are all easy to drive. But I'd recommend the AD2k.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you guys see his budget? It's figgin' large. I would recommend the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000, because it easily fits your budget, and can be driven well by anything. Grado, AT, Ultrasone are all easy to drive. But I'd recommend the AD2k.

I want to see a detailed listening comparison between the AT AD 2000 and the Ultrasone Pro 750, and then another comparison between the AT AD 2000 and the Ultrasone Ed. 9. I've heard some extremely good things about the AD 2000 but I have not had the opportunity to hear one. I have heard at least one other model of AT headphones.

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #19 of 33
I completely agree.
the HFI-780 doesn't need an amp to sound good; and the AD2000 would be the best option (if at least the isolation isn't required and the sound leakage a problem).
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you guys see his budget? It's figgin' large. I would recommend the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000, because it easily fits your budget, and can be driven well by anything. Grado, AT, Ultrasone are all easy to drive. But I'd recommend the AD2k.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #21 of 33
Edition 9s, duh.
wink.gif

Just kidding. If you're gonna limit yourself with the ipod and laptop's dacs and amps, you don't need to worry about coming close to $1500.

However, it seems like you want a top tier headphone so that you'll already have a great one when you upgrade everything else. Right?

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #22 of 33
If I have that budget, I would but one for home and another one for portable.

AD2000 for home and ESW9 for portable.
biggrin.gif

and some amp and DAC combo such as Corda Cantate or DAC with amp such as OMZ, if you like to have.
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #23 of 33
I just went three weeks without using my headphone amp, using my 595s straight out of my iPod. I was surprised by how good it sounded. Sure, the amp adds something, but iPod-->595 sounds pretty damn good by itself.

Jul 13, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by amir_j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JMC: i am a baseless freelancer living out of a suitcase who often has no idea where I am going to be from month to month (literally- this month is in Zurich) so wouldn't order from headroom, just in person as too much hassle for me.

Guys I fully a appreciate I will not get as good an experience without an amp but happy with it for now so please can the amp debate be left aside.

anyone tried unamped 595's?

595 sounds good unamped. I am not too sure how big your suitcase is, but i find it a little troubling to carry it around, especially with the 1/8' adapter, putting extra tension to the connector when i leave it inside my backpack. You may want to try Denon D1000/1001, it is comfortable and i like it better than 595. 595 is a little too relaxing and everytime i listen to it, i fall asleep, good bed time phones for me. Or Grado is good too, except the earpads take some time to feel comfortable.
smily_headphones1.gif

And i see you said you use it at home, so if you are not intending to travel with the headphone, then i say 595 is a good one too.

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #25 of 33
believe it or not, even the hd600s sound great out of an ipod. I wont recommend it as the only can to get when unamped though since volume is too low when you want to crank them up. AD2000 is great out of the ipod just as long as you like the ad2000s sound in the first place. They are a love or hate thing here on headfi

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #26 of 33
When friends listen to my Grado SR325i I don’t always reveal it’s attached to a postage stamp sized Shuffle. When I do, it never fails to amaze. Coupled to the Shuffle, the SR325i sounds incredible but it should for $300. For a bigger bang for the buck, I recommend the Alessandro MS1 ($99 shipped) which has 85-90% of the SR325i SQ and weighs 4.3oz less (7.2oz Vs. 11.5oz) which is significant when it’s on your head. There are other good phones but the key question is do they need an amp to sound good? Grados don't and that's one of the reasons I recommend them.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #27 of 33
geez, you don't need an amp and you don't need huge headphones!

Take a look at iems like the ultimate ears sp 3 and compliment them with a pair of Koss KSC-75s. Total less than 100 and you can put them both in a pouch the size of a sandwich bag. Both sound great without an amp.

Mooch

Jul 13, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by amir_j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Criteria

- to be used with Ipod and laptop but NO AMP as like to move around the house/garden a lot.

- Listen to all genres of music/movies/gaming and quality will vary from 128 to AAC lossless.
- Budget doesnt matter- anything up to $1500
- open or closed is fine
- will be used at home so looks are irrelevant

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I suggested the SR325i/MS1 because it's going to be used at home and neither needs an amp to sound good.

With a $1500 budget the sky's the limit so the real limitation becomes the sonic abilities of the iPod so spending $1500 on this is like spending $100 on a burger. BTW, do you live in Dubai?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back