Please recommend me a recent bridge camera
Jul 10, 2011 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Banned at his own request
I'm starting to feel the aging effects on my Fuji.
I currently operate a Fujifilm Finepix S 5500. I fully enjoy the broad range of controls in a bridge without going into the DSLR cameras.
So I have two requests.
One. Solidly built. I don't care about the country that built it as long as it is solid. Current Fuji bridges feel really fragile compared to the S 5500.
Two. The ability to get a wide-angle converter.
Everything else, including but not limited to brand, zoom factor, pixel factor, battery life, etc., is secondary.

Thank you very much. And please don't say "why don't you get a DSLR". Please.

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 12
I just got a Panasonic DMC LX5.  It's solidly built has a wide range of controls.  Has a wide angle adapter you can attach to it.  I haven't been able to put it through its paces yet.  But I think the only gripe I have with it is the limited zoom.  But I knew this when I got it.  Also, the lens is pretty fast.  Allows more shots without having to resort to using a flash.  I got the LX5 to be a supplement to my GF1.

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 12
Olympus XZ-1 is easily the best luxury compact right now.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 12
LX5, I will look at it. I don't want a compact, too small and too light. I know that it has the power, just too small.
I want this form factor:

(Wikimedia Commons)
So basically, a DSLR without the lens being detachable.
Or am I actually better off buying used?

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 12
your better off going micro 4 3 and buying a super zoom lens.

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 12
Then you want to look at the Panasonic FZ series cameras like the FZ40 or the FZ100.  DSLR type form factor without a detachable lens.  Works well and the line has matured from when I first bought into the Panasonic line with the FZ30 which I still have.

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Thanks but no thanks. One, mostly too small. Two, interchangeable lens. I absolutely do not want interchangeable lens.
Thank you.

Why no interchangable lenses? You don't have to interchange them you know. A Panasonic G-series body w/ Panasonic's 14-140mm (28-280mm equivalent) lens has the same form factor and all-in-one versatility of older bridge cameras.

Otherwise, you're looking at buying used or stepping a class down to the compact superzoom range.

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Why no interchangable lenses? You don't have to interchange them you know. A Panasonic G-series body w/ Panasonic's 14-140mm (28-280mm equivalent) lens has the same form factor and all-in-one versatility of older bridge cameras.

When $1200 USD worth of lens drop to the ground, you can only imagine the aftermath.
Also dust.

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 12
The dust issue isn't as bad you might think.  I have a GF1 and I was out taking some pics along the park.  Well, the wind blew something onto the sensor inside when I was in the middle of changing lenses.  Don't know what Panny uses but I just mounted the lens turned the thing on and shot some pictures.  The pictures were unaffected and when I took the lens off again, the foreign body was gone.  Panasonic references this somewhere in their literature.

Quote:
When $1200 USD worth of lens drop to the ground, you can only imagine the aftermath.
Also dust.

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #12 of 12
Yeah, now CMOS apparently have shakers and there are bulbs to clean stuff off.
Still, it's primarily the lens-dropping factor. Also I don't really feel like carrying a bag of gun barrels and swap them out when facing different enemies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back