Please, recommend me a new portable audio player.
Feb 12, 2008 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

2ndbest

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. I've been out the loop for a while, and I've been wondering if there are any new decent portable audio sources, than can replace my ageing Zen Vision M.

The Zen Vision isn't working flawless anymore, it's been dropped on it's head a few times too many and it shows. Synching with the computer is becoming troublesome, and the sound quality is leaving me wanting.

I used to have a iRiver IMP-900 which was ALOT better than the Zen Vision, because I sold it because of it's bulkiness and playing cd's with MP3's wasn't really convenient. I do miss it's sound quality however, and with my Zen Vision nearly giving up the ghost I want something that comes close to the iRiver.

Because of the convience of harddrive based players I want something with a hdd, and something with lots of storage that can preferably play lossless files. Budget, well about 400 euros should be enough I reckon. As for headphones, I will partner the player with my beloved Sennheisers, and probably won't be using a portable amp.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 6
Well hdd players puts out a lot of players to pick from, which is good I guess.

What kind of screen do you want?
Will you be watching videos on it?
How much memory, 30-60gb? or 80-160gb?

Also, if you want to play lossless files, rockbox would be the way to go, which plays on many ipods and iriver players.

I would probably recommend iriver h1xx or h3xx series since you like irivers sound quality and because they can be rockboxed.
Their pretty old, so you shouldn't have to worry about the price.

If you want 80-160gb of space, either get ipod classic, zune 80, or archos 605 wifi 160gb(if you watch dvds).
Ooo I almost forgot about cowon players, just go to iaudiophile.net and look at their mp3 players, they have a bunch of good hdd players you would probably like.

Hope that helps a little.

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndbest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of the convience of harddrive based players I want something with a hdd, and something with lots of storage that can preferably play lossless files.

What makes a HDD more convenient then flash? Are you simply talking the ability to store more? I just want to clarify before I make a suggestion.

Feb 13, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes a HDD more convenient then flash? Are you simply talking the ability to store more? I just want to clarify before I make a suggestion.

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear, I want a harddrive based player because I need alot of storage, the 30GB I have right now on my Zen just isn't enough.

Feb 13, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 6
if you dont need/want a portable amp: Zune 80

Runner ups: Cowon A2-A3, Archos Generation 5 (505. 605)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back