Jan 4, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 30
Sound Professionals carry very nice optical cables

and

The Glass cables on Audiogon are also excellent

and to a lesser extent the gold series at Radioshack

also, Hosa is indeed quite good and I have never delt with SoundQuest
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 30
Wait, we're talking optical transmission, right? So it's by definition bit-perfect at both ends, regardless of manufacturer, right?

Or am I thinking of something else?

Edit: I'm definitely not thinking of something else. Would someone enlighten me as to the perceived benefits of an expensive optical transmission medium over an inexpensive one, all other factors being equal?

Jan 4, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Since toslink optical operates with a lazer signal, I've always assumed that any cable difference is purely in the cabling strength and build, not SQ, but "glass" toslink cables have piqued my interest.

It would inevitably have to be build quality.

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 30
Here we go again
rolleyes.gif
Glass is superior to plastic for many reasons most importantly clarity and multinode configuration. You ever seen 2m thick plastic? To say its fuzzy is an understatement, so think of a plastic toslink as a high impedance IC that reduced signal level among other undesirable effects.

That said glass toslink is not more expensive, that eBay/AudioGon Glass Toslink is a AudioAsylum favorite and costs a whole $35? That's hardly bank breaking for a toslink that competes favourably with $200+ coax cables. I use WireWorld SuperNova 3+ because its also glass, has connectors that spin freely to relieve cable twisting and rang in at a whole $75 for 2m.

But for the asking price of the AudioGon/eBay toslink its a no brainer unless you want to spend money on better connectors. Van Den Hul also makes a great toslink but lengths greater than 1m takes a long time to receive.

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
a high impedance IC that reduced signal level among other undesirable effects

Jesus, must be quite high impedance to produce an attenuation of a magnitude within [CAVEAT: scientifically accepted] audible range.

Optical transmission is pretty resistant to signal loss, and jitter losses are minimal, so I doubt spending more than $50 will bring you any sort of improvement. The one that comes with the AV710 looks pretty chintzy though.

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly
Jesus, must be quite high impedance to produce an attenuation of a magnitude within [CAVEAT: scientifically accepted] audible range.

This, and also that while it is easier for us to see through glass and it is more transmissive, the plastic used is well within safe, specified levels for the equipment and provides no interference. You're not getting any advantage transferring your bytes over glass than plastic, in other words, except for higher construction quality and a warm fuzzy feeling - bit-perfect is bit-perfect. I'd buy it just for the higher construction quality, myself, as I don't like cables failing for no discernable reason as very inexpensive ones are prone to do.

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #12 of 30
The quoted item describes an analog signal interconnect, which he then compares to a bad digital one.

The major argument I hear in favor of glass is lower jitter, not actual data loss - though I'm skeptical as to how such miniscule delays can audibly effect the sound. As I said before, though, the included optical cable looks like crap.

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #15 of 30
I got my 6 ft glass cable from Ebay. The seller is "unique prodcuts online." He is always selling it.
It sounds better than the 20 ft plastic cable.

Optical cable can affect interface jitter.
Let me quote Bob Katz in his book, "Mastering Audio":
"It [glass cable] also has superior bandwidth and therefore causes fewer interface jitter problems, jitter as low as as any good copper connection. Glass fibre connections can have even lower interface jitter than unbalanced copper connections becuase they eliminate ground loops and EMI sensitivity."

If any man knows jitter, Bob Katz definitely does. He only talks about verified facts in his book. Toslink cable does not just transmit the bits, there is still analog clock information being passed along. It is not crazy that people hear differences in optical cables, it is just that their DAC's jitter rejection is not as good as it can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back