Please recommend headphones for work
May 12, 2004 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

k.ODOMA

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a pair of headphone specifically for work and would like some recommendations. These are the criteria they have to meet:

*Not too big. I walk around a lot so they have to be somewhat portable.
*Under $250. I don't want to risk using expensive cans at work.
*For safety I have to be able to hear my co-workers yelling.
*I'm more concerned with keeping noise out of the headphones than keeping music in.
*The better sounding the better, but I'm not expecting audiophile-quality.

I was seriously considering the ER-4S but I don't think I'd be able to hear my co-workers. Oh, and I'll be using them with an Airhead amp.

May 12, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 8
I'd consider open, but seeing as I haven't tried any my question is, how much noise are they going to keep out (my shop is moderately noisy). I'm using a pair of beyerdynamic DT831's and they keep enough noise out, they're just much too big.

May 12, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 8
Ultrasone HFI-650.
I had Beyer DT250-80 and HFI surpass them in sonic department by a big margin. In fact imho that is the best sounding small phones you can find nowadays, wish thet had Beyer's velour pads though, ears get kind hot.

May 12, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 8
Actually, the velvet ear pads are one of the things I really don't like about beyers. On a warm day they make my ears way too hot. Thanks for the tip on the ultrasones.

May 12, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Sony MDR V6, they are portable, they isolate good but not so much that you woulndt hear outside co workers yelling. And the best they are very affordable at $70 they offer a lot for so little.

May 12, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 8
The Ultrasones will probably isolate too much... when music's playing I cannot hear a damn thing. And I would probably push for the HFI-700 (or the older 650 DVD, or just the 650 in the US) instead of the trackmasters, but that is all listening-preference dependant.

I would also consider the Sennheiser HD25, although I've never heard it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back