Please recommend headphone/s upgrade around $500 budget
Sep 20, 2019 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jazzfish

New Head-Fier
I enjoy my Etymotic ER3XR mostly outdoors and I still own and like my Westone 4R and Ortofon EQ5

I own the HD600 and Momentum wired. I don’t have an amp but may consider getting one.

Looking for headphone or headphones to add to the collection and spend maybe around $500.

Mostly for enjoying music through Samsung S9 and IPad ( Adult contemporary pop/rock eg Ole Borud, Jazz eg Robert Glasper, Musicals, etc )
And also maybe occasionally record and mix music through an audio interface.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 10
Closed or open? There are quite a lot of options there with open cans. For closed ones, Aeon flow closed, Byerdynamic t5p (I have the t5p on sale if you are interested), Denon D7200 and so on. There are probably more closed back options if you do some more digging

Sep 21, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 10
I enjoy my Etymotic ER3XR mostly outdoors and I still own and like my Westone 4R and Ortofon EQ5
I own the HD600 and Momentum wired. I don’t have an amp but may consider getting one.
Looking for headphone or headphones to add to the collection and spend maybe around $500.
Mostly for enjoying music through Samsung S9 and IPad ( Adult contemporary pop/rock eg Ole Borud, Jazz eg Robert Glasper, Musicals, etc )
And also maybe occasionally record and mix music through an audio interface.
Thanks for your suggestions!
A tube headphone amplifier might improve the sound of the 300-Ohm HD600 headphones.

Headphone wise, maybe the Sennheiser DT1990.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynam...542747&hash=item3d9305389f:g:14wAAOSwLGpddqhe

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 10
get this cheap dac/amp the fiio k5 pro ($150) first

I suggest you to save for the focal Elex ($700) if you really want to upgrade from the 600

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the replies thus far!

Gd point, what do I want. Perhaps
1. Look for a portable amp that possibly enhance the sound though I play 90% from Spotify/phone, iPad ( mix through an Audio interface )

2. Get headphones that may show me a new path in audio appreciation. Currently, it seems I'm getting a more warm and neutral sound.

Sep 23, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 10
If you want something different, the 600ohm Beyerdynamic DT880 is an interesting option. The DT1990 also exists but I didn’t think the price difference was worth it and in some situations the 1990 sounded stuffier.

I’d also recommend saving up for an Elex or perhaps buying a used one though.

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 10
(No portable amp required)
Open back, Sennheiser HD660S
Closed back, Campfire Audio Cascade.

(Portable amp required)
Open back, Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro
Closed back, Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro

(Studio work if you want)
Sony MDR-7506
Sony MDR-7510
AKG K240 MKII
Sennheiser HD 280

(If you want to up the ante and increase your budget)
Focal Clear
Audeze LCD-X
Hifiman Ananda/Arya
Sony Z7m2

Feel free to look up reviews/ask people on here for impressions/guide line.

BUT ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND.
- If you can, test before you buy.
- Everyones hearing/taste is different. So never take what people say as an absolute.
- I'd personally avoid MassDrop, but thats just me. (i'd rather deal with shops, support local audio shops!)
- Stick to 3.5mm / 4.4mm / 6.35mm for now.
- I personally wouldnt use Tubes for Mastering/Recording.

Sep 28, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 10
Take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT 177X Go on Drop.com. Great closed back with a warm character and small boost in bass and treble (very small, compared to most Beyerdynamics). I just got my pair and I’m addicted to them. For open, the DT 1990 is an alternative for a more neutral and brighter response. You could also just take a jump from the HD600 and go for the HD660S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back