Please Recommend Cheap Studio Cans!!
Oct 29, 2006 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

hermes_vb

New Head-Fier
A friend of mine has been slowly putting together a home studio, nothing fancy, just enough to record his demos. He needs suggestions for a closed, circumaural headphones good enough to prevent or reduce sound leaks. He´s tight on money so his budget is around $60-$80. Any recommendations?

Oct 29, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 15
Basically the same phones as the Sony MDR-7506 but without the gold-plated plug is the Sony MDR-V6 @ $69.95 retail. B&H sells them:
Sony MDR-V6 at B&H

They sound pretty good connected to computers and similar circuitry (seem to have been designed for that) -- actually better than a lot of higher-quality-and-cost phones in similar system -- but they are not circumaural, but rather supra-aural. They don't have as much isolation as the Beyer DT250 (a very nice phone with similar shape but more comfortable fit and more isolation, and more costly...).

I don't have any good circumaural, cheap, isolating phones in mind at the moment, but perhaps someone will offer a better suggestion soon.

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Basically the same phones as the Sony MDR-7506 but without the gold-plated plug is the Sony MDR-V6 @ $69.95 retail. B&H sells them:
Sony MDR-V6 at B&H

They sound pretty good connected to computers and similar circuitry (seem to have been designed for that) -- actually better than a lot of higher-quality-and-cost phones in similar system -- but they are not circumaural, but rather supra-aural. They don't have as much isolation as the Beyer DT250 (a very nice phone with similar shape but more comfortable fit and more isolation, and more costly...).

I don't have any good circumaural, cheap, isolating phones in mind at the moment, but perhaps someone will offer a better suggestion soon.

x2... second vote would be for an AKG K240. They are industry standards. What that means is that you dont have to re-invent the wheel every time you take your tracks to different studios. When you collaborate and say... "It sounds bright" to other engineers/musucians you will all have the same reference point. But, then again thats assuming most in your field use those cans.

Garrett

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
x2... second vote would be for an AKG K240. They are industry standards. What that means is that you dont have to re-invent the wheel every time you take your tracks to different studios. When you collaborate and say... "It sounds bright" to other engineers/musucians you will all have the same reference point. But, then again thats assuming most in your field use those cans.

Garrett

AKG271 are great too, and have what I feel is a "flatter" response than the k240 (and more comfortable as well -- I find the K240 kind of squirrelly to handle and a bit boomy/muddy) -- but both AKG's are way over the $60-$80 budget! (Unless he gets really lucky in finding a nice pair of previously owned cans in that range. Just as an example, there's a pair of Beyer DT770/80 in the For Sale Forum for $115, which is really cheap for those (closed/circumaural) phones, but they're hardly "flat/neutral" for studio purposes, and still over budget.

Our Head-fi For Sale Forums are not usually deeply discounted, but you never know.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 15
Well for the OP $60-$80, perhaps the HD-25SP from Sennheiser (Often used in recording and broadcasting) or the AKG K81DJ (highly praised for the cost effectiveness around here)

Oct 29, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #10 of 15
Oct 30, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #12 of 15
"Just out of curiosity, I wonder how well IEMs would work in a recording situation."

Well, they would isolate/not leak sound outward ... but if soundstage is an issue in "designing" a sound, maybe not an ideal first choice. But it could be cost-effective ...

The Sennheiser 201's aren't "big league" headphones, by any means (which is why I have them), but they are closed and seem sturdy, and are inexpensive (under $30, I believe -- I think I paid $20).

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 15
i'm looking for headphones used for a recording studio. i'm a very low-cost budget, preferably that is less than $50. someone recommended the hd-205s, but i don't see very many reviews or opinions of them. any commments or suggestions? also, how do they compare to the akg K81dj?

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 15
i forgot to mentioned, i'd like them preferably closed cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back