Please recommend analytical and accurate, well isolating cans for some critical listening and work.
Dec 3, 2014 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kcpz

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

After owning a Grado SR60i a while ago I lately acquired the 325i and they sound fantastic but...I`m in dire need of a closed back design. Fully open SR325i simply doesn`t cut it in some situations and let`s be honest they`re suited rather for relaxation.

I`m looking for a full size closed, well isolating pair of cans with linear signature. I also owned AKG550, they`re great, but the higher end of the spectrum seems odd. I love the punchy well controled bass on them though, seems like it could cut Your ears in half with it`s precision.

I need that kind of dynamic - in terms of speed not technology, fast, accurate headphones with best soundstage and most importantly the ability to pinppoint different sound sources, analytical headphones with wide soundstage, something similar to the k550 just better all along the lows, mids and highs, more accurate. Good stereofnics and the ability to build a clear 3d soundsage is very important.

Are there any worthy competitors? I heard that Focals Pro are good, but with small soundstage, any guess on Yamaha HPH220, would it be any upgrade? Any others?

Best regards, Greg.

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 3
  Hi guys,

After owning a Grado SR60i a while ago I lately acquired the 325i and they sound fantastic but...I`m in dire need of a closed back design. Fully open SR325i simply doesn`t cut it in some situations and let`s be honest they`re suited rather for relaxation.

I`m looking for a full size closed, well isolating pair of cans with linear signature. I also owned AKG550, they`re great, but the higher end of the spectrum seems odd. I love the punchy well controled bass on them though, seems like it could cut Your ears in half with it`s precision.

I need that kind of dynamic - in terms of speed not technology, fast, accurate headphones with best soundstage and most importantly the ability to pinppoint different sound sources, analytical headphones with wide soundstage, something similar to the k550 just better all along the lows, mids and highs, more accurate.

Are there any worthy competitors? I heard that Focals Pro are good, but with small soundstage, any guess on Yamaha HPH220, would it be any upgrade? Any others?

Best regards, Greg.

The Focal Pros, Shure SRH 940 (needs an amp) and the Sony MDR-7520 are go to closed cans for this purpose.  However, closed cans are not going to deliver a large sound stage.

There are a number of open options--and some need amps.  Need to know your budget and what amp (if any) you have.

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Well isolating closed ones are the only option for me. Their ability to emulate 3d stage with clear sound positioning is the clue, speed also. Soundstage width of the K550 was enough, it could be taller and deeper though:wink:

DR DAC3:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back