Please recommend an IEM for me—ESW10JPN user
Dec 24, 2009 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

zlot

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

First, a quick background: I bought a pair of ESW9's, after owning a pair of ES7's for a while. Loved the sound except I found the treble to be fairly fatiguing—it seemed to have more sibilance than I had expected. Perhaps they needed a good burn-in.

Anyway I was still very impressed with them, and I jumped on a pair of 2nd hand ESW10jpn's, which I now use and absolutely LOVE.

But I need a set of IEM's now as summer is here, and it's too impractical (not to mention HOT) to use cans when walking around in 30degree heat.

So, I don't exactly need an IEM that sounds exactly like the Audio Technica sound signature as that would just be silly. It will be nice to have a different sound palette to add to my growing headphone arsenal.

But what I'm trying to explain is that I want a pair of IEM's that can compete with the quality of sound that the ESW10jpn's provide. So, deep quick bass (but not exaggerated or overpowering), and clear but smooth treble that doesn't harsh. I also run my headphones directly out of my iphone 3gs, I don't use a portable amp.

I read a lot of great stuff about the RE0's, which I am strongly considering. Is there any other IEM's that one could suggest for me? I'm prepared to pay well for quality. Any suggestions regarding tip replacement will also be appreciated. I read a lot of good things about the foam tips—the last time I tried canalphones I hated the feeling, so anything that will both increase the sound quality AND comfort will be wonderful!

Oh btw, I listen to all types of music, so they have to be broad enough to sound good jumping from experimental, pop, minimal etc.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 5
I have a pair of esw9's and I absolutely love my re0's as my portable-portables
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 5
Well my ceiling is probably $500 AUS. I'd actually rather spend much less than that, seeming that the RE0's are highly praised and only cost about $130 AUS, which means that the quality hike to justify spending 3x the amount of the RE0's has to be a rather large one!

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 5
The Pro Turbines by Monster are worth a listen. When fit correctly, they have a very good bass response and the soundstage is credible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back