Please Recommend Amp for D5000
Jan 27, 2010 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

thisismiller

New Head-Fier
Hello again everyone, I'd like some info now about some good amps to look at for my Denon D5000s.

I'm looking to spend around $300-500.

I'd like this to be able to easily communicate with my other electronics that I have. My Cambridge Audio DACmagic only has one output and it also needs to eventually go to my NAD 315bee stereo amplifier. The stereo amplifier only has an output that is for the tape input. I guess I could loop it through that but I would like to see what my options are for DAC > HP AMP > AMP. Is there an hp amp I can buy that I could use my speakers with, without having my hp amp on? Is this what pre-out and line outs do? Or does the headphone amp have to be on?

All of my electronics are currently black, I know its stupid but I don't know if I would like 1 component sticking out from the rest.

The other day, I realized that my headphones sound like s*** if I have my itunes equalizer on flat/off. It shouldn't be that way should it? Currently, to sound good, I turn the high frequencies way up and the low up a little. That is what is prompting this decision to get a dedicated amp.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 21
What do you prefer? Tubes or Solid State? Those denon's are sounding bad either coz they aren't burned in, you just don't like the overall sound of Denon's or they are just not getting enough power.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 21
When I owned the D2000 and D5000 I was VERY happy with the synergy both headphones had with my Millett MiniMAX hybrid. The D5000 sounded particularly good with this amp.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 21
I've read that tube-hybrids are the best for the denons so you might want to consider the rudistor line of amps (they aren't cheap I believe). On the cheaper end there's the Hifiman EF-2 and hits higher end sibling the EF-5.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 21
I've heard a lot of amps on my D5000's and ended up with a custom Blue Circle SBH - out of your price range.

If you want to stay in your price range I'd seriously consider the K.I.C.A.S. headamp.

After the experiences I've had buying Chinese I would not recommend going that route.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After the experiences I've had buying Chinese I would not recommend going that route.

I think the Little Dot line would be a good amp for them - I got the hybrid LD 1+ and it matches my D2000 great. Yes they are from China - but working with David Z. was great - quick shipment, good communications, and support.

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 21
I'm not sure if I prefer solid state or tubes because I have never had a dedicated headphone amp before. I have heard that solid state or hybrids are the best for the denon line though.

I wanted to get the EF-5 but it only has an input... No line out. How could I make it work with my current system. I want to be able to use my speakers as well without having to unplug anything.

I'm willing to stretch my budget for this if there is something that would sound a lot better than my sub $500 options.

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 21
I would like to think, based on my experience with the D2000's, that the Gilmore Lite works well with the D5000. Can anyone hear provide confirmation that that SS amp does well with the D5000's, with or without DPS?

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 21
I used the Gilmore Lite with D5000 for a short period. It was good but eventually proved to be too sibilant for my taste. I also found the bass overpowering. Could be I just didn't like the Denons.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 21
Or they weren't burnt in (myth but may as well try) or you simply prefer tube amps.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 21
I would say they were fully burned in. I did try them with a Mapletree Ear+ HD and the difference was subtle. I'm using a Caliente at the moment but no longer have the Denon's to try with it.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #13 of 21
I just got the Mapletree Ear+ HD and am still tube rolling after like a week. Got it used for $565aud with 8 different driver tubes
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 21
Can I leave the Gilmore Lite off if I have the loop out leading to a stereo amplifier and have sound come through? Or would the Gilmore lite have to be on to use my speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back