Please recommend a small laptop with digital output (found thanks)
Sep 30, 2011 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tbger99

Head-Fier
Hi all,

Currently I'm playing music through my laptop, and as described in this thread, my music pops a lot when something's going on, which has become quite frustrating.  I'd like to stick with computers for playing music at this time, so I thought another cheap, basic small laptop with the right features will do the job.  I've been browsing the Pictures of your computer rigs thread and got this idea from there.

Now, my knowledge in computers is relatively narrow, and there are so many brands and types out there, so I thought it'd be better to ask specifically rather than spending 3 weeks on research, or asking a salesman in a store, ending up with something I don't really need.

So basically what I need from it is ...

- Windows based, I'm not familiar with Mac or Linux and prefer something I know how to mess with or fix when necessary

- optical output (more than one if possible)

- a rather small screen - shouldn't take much space on the desk

- cheap - I don't need anything from it other than streaming music

I'll still be using my MusicStreamer II+ for a while, but I'm planning on digitally adding an equalizer (via optical input and output), which I would like to connect directly to this laptop (might be wrong here - still have to do some more research on this point).

As I said I don't know very much about computers or laptops in specific, so there might be points I've missed. Feel free to add or correct me where necessary.

Hope to get some help with this.

Thanks

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 6
If you want an optical out from a laptop, this will do the trick very nicely for $119:

http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Fidelity-MFVLINK-V-Link/dp/B004PH03GU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317422682&sr=8-1

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 6
I suspect the problems I have with USB clocking right now might still occur when I try one of these.    I don't know if I really want to take the risk of buying a 100 USD + device when I can't know for sure things will be different than with using the HRT MusicStreamer II+.  I highly suspect the problems are with my PC.

Thanks for your quick response though.  
smile.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm a big fan of squeezebox products for computer based playback. It does hi res (up to 24/96), can play a wide variety of music files, and it sounds very good using the RCA outputs since it has a good quality built in dac. It is also bit perfect. I'd get one and use it with my existing computer (which shouldn't be making popping noises). It has digital outs as well as RCA and can be controlled via your laptop or via the touch screen (or a variety of handheld devices as well via an app): http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-930-000090-Squeezebox-Touch/dp/B002LARRDA. It also makes for a flexible set up since your music system does not need to be next to your computer.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks again Alex.  I'd rather like to have a small laptop, i.e. 8-10 inch, with a digital output, either 3.5mm or toslink S/PDIF.

I saw quite many using this method (of a secondary laptop), just throw me ideas of what you are using and I'll check them out.

I changed the title to focus posters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back