Please recommend a simple voltmeter.
Apr 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Prog Rock Man

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for something cheap and simple to make sure cables I am making work safely. So I figure I need a voltmeter to ensure the connections are soldered and there is no chance of shorting so I know my work is safe to be used on my hifi. I may need an ammeter instead of a voltmeter, or both, not sure really!

Any recommendations thanked for in advance.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks, I see I probably need a multimeter of which there are many ranging from £5 off ebay from China/Hong Kong to hundreds of pounds. I want a cheap simple one!

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 11
I went to a local tool shop and bought the cheapest multimeter they had. It died, so I got another. That died too... The cheapest was £5 so the next time I went for the next one at £15 - it's not died yet, but the wire cover on the probes is hard and breaks, requiring heatshrinking.

Just to check continuity you don't need anything expensive, but don't buy the cheapest either unless you're really careful - both of mine died of physical failure (the big switch on the front), they still measured ok.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 11
Apr 14, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 11
If it's just a one-shot test, and you're not making any more, why don't you just borrow a meter? Walk into a local electronics repair shop, if you're friendly and buy some shrink tubing or something they'll probably check them out for you for free. If you're on the brink of getting into electronics as a hobby, though (making your own cables, you are teetering!) then invest in a decent meter. My first meter was a Sears Craftsman branded Fluke, I forget the model but it did volts, amps and ohms and was less than 100 US dollars. There are cheaper Flukes on eBay, do your research though, Fluke makes a ton of different models that do things you probably won't ever need. I have a Fluke 87v now, it was pricey but it does capacitance and is very accurate, and I use it for working on my house, my car, my computer, the guitars I build, and now on my rapidly developing audio habit. A good meter, properly used and with the occasional professional calibration, will last a very very long time. As my dad told me, "you buy good crap once."

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheap one: Multimeter Model MAS 830

Just use an ohmmeter and check for zero resistance unless you have a continuity function (or go here if you want more info: Multimeter Tutorial - Learning about continuity)

Hope all is well!

Thanks for that. I have gone for something that looks very similar to the MAS 830 which has a continuity meter which will beep if the connection is good.

The tutorial is excellent as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back