Please Recommend a Digital Audio Player
Jul 9, 2023 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

augustwest

Headphoneus Supremus
I’m looking for a DAP that would cost $100 or less. What is important to me is, Sound Quality. The player should have a robust warm full sound, apposed to a clean thin detailed sound profile. Don’t really care if it is ‘neutral’ or not, my belief, neutral is the enemy of exciting. What I do want that is most important to me is “gapless” playback, a decent worthwhile EQ. More steps in volume level better than less. Hopefully somewhere around 100. Alphabetical folder sorting. Long battery life.

What is less important to me, but is OK if the player has; streaming ability, blue tooth, wi-fi, calendar, stop watch, touch screen, changeable skins, web browser access. Also while I’d like to have FM, if it isn’t there it’s OK.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. - Thanks in advance.

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 9
I’m looking for a DAP that would cost $100 or less. What is important to me is, Sound Quality. The player should have a robust warm full sound, apposed to a clean thin detailed sound profile. Don’t really care if it is ‘neutral’ or not, my belief, neutral is the enemy of exciting. What I do want that is most important to me is “gapless” playback, a decent worthwhile EQ. More steps in volume level better than less. Hopefully somewhere around 100. Alphabetical folder sorting. Long battery life.

What is less important to me, but is OK if the player has; streaming ability, blue tooth, wi-fi, calendar, stop watch, touch screen, changeable skins, web browser access. Also while I’d like to have FM, if it isn’t there it’s OK.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. - Thanks in advance.

HiBy R2 II

- Cheers

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 9
Not having bought daps at these prices I don’t know but would it be best value to spend money on a dongle for a phone for this amount?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 9
Not having bought daps at these prices I don’t know but would it be best vakue to soend money on a dongle for a phone for this amount?
Thanks for the idea but I'm not much of a phone guy. Typicaly phones don't have much in the way decent EQ, gapless and features I want. Additionally, using the phone for portable sound runs the battery down quickly and is just an all around pain to use for things other than phone functions.

Jul 10, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the idea but I'm not much of a phone guy. Typicaly phones don't have much in the way decent EQ, gapless and features I want. Additionally, using the phone for portable sound runs the battery down quickly and is just an all around pain to use for things other than phone functions.
That's what I did, thanks for the tip!

Jul 10, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 9
That's what I did, thanks for the tip!
Excellent!

Here's a brief guide to the MSEB EQ system:

MageSound 8-ball (MSEB):

1 -- Overall Temperature is a tilt of the whole line towards treble (cool) or bass (warm)
2 -- Bass extension 70Hz and below
3 -- Bass texture 100Hz (medium)
4 -- Note thickness 200Hz (wide)
5 -- Vocals 650Hz (very wide)
6 -- Female overtones 3kHz (tight)
7 -- Sibilant LF 5.8kHz (medium)
8 -- Sibilant HF 9.2kHz (medium)
9 -- Impulse response 7.5kHz (very wide)
10 - Air 10kHz sloped all the way to 20kHz

Jul 10, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 9
Fair enough - that sounds reasonable:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back