Please recommend a computer psu
Apr 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #17 of 23
The guys at OCN are also reliable when it comes to PSU's and everything related to computer parts. 

I think you can't go wrong with Seasonic. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #18 of 23
make sure you have a cool room or good ventilation inside your case if your going for a fanless PSU

you dont want your pc to shut down every now and then hehe

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
make sure you have a cool room or good ventilation inside your case if your going for a fanless PSU

you dont want your pc to shut down every now and then hehe

Fanless doesn't mean totally no fan. It usually means the fan doesn't run all the time, only when needed. Most cases place the PSU at the bottom nowadays, it draws air from the bottom.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Fanless doesn't mean totally no fan. It usually means the fan doesn't run all the time, only when needed. Most cases place the PSU at the bottom nowadays, it draws air from the bottom.

fanless means fanless. there is no fan inside the power supply. otherwise what you're saying is newegg and other online retailers are doing false      advertisements when they put zero fans in the specifications for fanless power supplies.

also a thumbs up for seasonic from me.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:
     fanless means fanless. there is no fan inside the power supply. otherwise what you're saying is newegg and other online retailers are doing false      advertisements when they put zero fans in the specifications for fanless power supplies.

Ok, my bad. I guess they put a fan for higher capacity ones, like my 760W Seasonic, and it runs 'without fan' for upto 500W.

This means they can easily sell supplies <500W without any fan.

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

It's a grey area but yes seasonic PSU is fanless upto a point i believe 20% load after which time the fan starts spinning slowly and ramps up quickly are load increases. I use the X-660W gold model which is great since most of the time it's music playing and no noise from the desktop

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #23 of 23
As for the power, HDDs use few watts each, motherboard components a dozen or two and Core i3 less than hundred - pretty much every PSU is enough to run this setup.

SS-400FL has silentpcreview recommendation and these guys appear to know what they are doing. If your case has some ventilation in the PSU chamber to keep it cool it will be fine. After all, with over 80% efficiency it will never produce more than 20W of heat in such a low power system and you don't need much airflow to get rid of 20W.

From personal experience I can also recommend Nexus Value 430 - it has a fan, but it's extremely slow and quiet, even at 200W and slightly above. It's cheaper than SS-400FL, but less common and harder to find.

And to be honest, if you don't plan to overclock, upgrade to i7 or add a big GPU, almost any quality PSU will do. I have some 250W and 450W PSUs from early 2000' and both are stable and virtually silent at similar load levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back