Please recommend a CD Transport
Jul 4, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
They said a great transport would still be good for a slight improvement, but that they were highly surprised about the DAC1's level of indifference regarding transports.

Cool, I'll have to dig up my old Stereophile's as I think there was a review in there where they said something similar [I no longer subscribe... I prefer UHF now]. Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
The problem is that people have Greatly varying ability to tell the difference between components and cables. I don't subscribe to the born-with-golden-ear stance, but I believe a lot of it is patience and methodical ear/brain training. Much like golf, the more you pay attention, practice, and train yourself, the better your game becomes.

The other problem is the resolution of the system and room. If I use my old receiver and mass-market speakers in a poor room, I will not be able to tell the difference between Meitner DCC2 DAc and a cheap DVD player. The cheap DVD player may even sound "better" b/c its weak bass will not produce corner "boom," etc.

Both good points... I also think that the born-with-golden-ear thing is complete bull.
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #17 of 18
I'm with Jon L. Go with an external hard drive, or a bigger internal one, a sound card, rip your CDs to a lossless formate, and get an Ack Dack 1.2e ($409 on Audiogon). You'll forget all about CDs.

I use a Squeezebox (TCP/IP protocol) rather than a sound card, running the digital signal into an Ack Dack 2.0. Once I went to computer audio, I never looked back. In my mind, CDs are a waste of time. Hell, you can buy your CDs, rip them onto your hard drive and then sell the CDs.

Aug 11, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcdonou
Hell, you can buy your CDs, rip them onto your hard drive and then sell the CDs.

That's the reason why RIAA is going crazy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back