Please recomend Cans
Oct 19, 2009 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Gags72

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I have recently sold my Heed Canamp and 702.
To be honest, and please no one take offence to this, I found this combo one of the least enjoyable HIFI experiences I have had.

So I now have only a Beresfor DAC and would like to buy some headphones, on a budget, that will give an ok sound when driven by the Beresford 7520.

This is not a post to talk about the Beresford which I am also kind of indifferent to. And no it was not as good as the Heed.

I like a mellow sound that may tend on the side of warm and lush rather than detailed and analytical.

I am happy to look at something used or new but my budget is only about $150 so used may get me more.

I would like to get something that is easy to drive as I don't think the Beresford is that beefy.

Looking forward to your help.

Many thanks

Gags72

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 19
Shure SRH-840 would be a safe bet at approx. $150. It's detailed, but fairly warm. Or perhaps a used pair of open Sennheisers which will be even warmer and less detailed.
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 19
Shure SRH-840 are $260 here in Australia, not fair when you consider the Aussie dollar is so strong against the U.S. Dollar right now.

Which models are the Sennheisers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure SRH-840 would be a safe bet at approx. $150. It's detailed, but fairly warm. Or perhaps a used pair of open Sennheisers which will be even warmer and less detailed.
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 19
Step 1: Wait until you have ~$200.
Step 2: Buy used Beyerdynamic DT880s.
Step 3: Enjoy.

Alternately, I might consider a used pair of AKG K240s - I didn't find them too comfortable, but their huge availability has resulted in low demand on the used market - you can get a pair used for $75, which is a pretty good deal.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Used Sr225 or new SR80i.

Those are good recommendations too.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are good recommendations too.

"warm and lush" (not in the typical "muffled" and "blended frequencies" fashion) sound, and on top of that, fun, with a huge PRaT factor. Plus, Grados do quite well with the TC7520 amp.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 19
I can't recall a specific Senn - somebody fire an idea - but if the Shures are too expensive and you can actually manage open cans, then, for the millionth time, Alessandro MS-1(i). It's a VERY safe bet at $100.
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

"warm and lush" (not in the typical "muffled" and "blended frequencies" fashion) sound, and on top of that, fun, with a huge PRaT factor. Plus, Grados do quite well with the TC7520 amp.

Well thought our recommendation.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Appologies for being off-topic, but what does "PRaT" factor mean?

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't recall a specific Senn - somebody fire an idea - but if the Shures are too expensive and you can actually manage open cans, then, for the millionth time, Alessandro MS-1(i). It's a VERY safe bet at $100.
wink.gif

The MS1 i version is actually a very very good cans. It plays just about anything very well, and amp requirements are not that heavy.
Make sure to get the "i" version though.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 19
Huh. I'm surprised you think there's a huge difference. I should check out the MS1 thread to see what the consensus is on the difference between the old and new.

@OP: You might be able to pick up an HD580 for ~$150. They're not "easy" to amp, but they're a good sight easier than the AKGs, and they seem to fit your preferences.

@LingLing1337: I wouldn't say the Grados were warm and lush, but I'm with you on the PRaT and fun-factors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back