Please post your Squeezebox tweaks, I've got one to get things rolling.
Apr 18, 2006 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

Recently I recieved an Eastsound Signature Edition CD-E5 source and when comparing it to the Squeezebox 3 as a transport, I was surprised to find that the Eastsound wipes the floor with it. More dynamics, better bass response, etc. This is when comparing CD's to FLAC files ripped in EAC using 'uberstandard' settings.

Anyways, I was reading through the slimdevices forums and found the following settings that can be changed under Server Settings on the slimserver web interface:

| file | stream format |
[ ] | FLAC | FLAC | (built-in)
[ ] | FLAC | MP3 | flac/lame
[X] | FLAC | WAV | flac

[ ] | WAV | FLAC | flac
[ ] | WAV | MP3 | lame
[X] | WAV | WAV | (built-in)

After making this change things have improved dramatically with my FLAC files played through the squeezebox. The Eastsound is still slightly more resolving and has a bit more bass, but they are now very close. I suspect that with a nice linear power supply the Squeezebox will close the gap.

Please post any similar tweaks that you have found effective.

- Jason
340smile.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 8
The newest I think... not sure, I can check when I get home.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Jason-

You should check and see whether you are using some of the newest builds on the Slimserver (which will also install the most up to date firmware as well). I'm actually talking about the pre-release (beta) 6.2.2, found here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads.../latest/6.2.2/

From my very brief time spent in the SlimDevices fora, it appears that there was a quality difference in the WAV and FLAC decoding that occurs in the Squeezebox and that this difference was fixed in the most recent firmware. It's an issue for me from a bandwidth perspective since I'm running wireless and the FLAC streaming uses half the bandwidth that the WAV does - so I avoid overtaxing my Wireless Router.

ALSO, I'm actually very curious about the comparison between the Eastsound as Transport and the Squeezebox as Transport. Are you feeding both into your Lavry or using the DAC in either one? Does the Lavry reclock the signal? One of the great mysteries to me is how different transports can have different effects even when feeding the same DAC. Especially since the Squeezebox is bitperfect. The only explanation I can come up with is Jitter. If you are feeding the Squeezebox into the Lavry, which digital out are you using on the Squeezebox, Optical or Coax? Apparently the Coax has much lower jitter than the optical. I have also read that the a Linear PS can improve the jitter on the Squeezebox and plan to pick one up at some time.

Beyond that, the mods for the squeezebox seem to get much more complicated - at least you need to be a competent DIYer (which I'm not). The only thing I may do in the future is to build Impulse Response files which can be inserted in the Slimserver and perform Digital Room Correction or Diqital Equalization. But I have neither the time, hardware, or knowhow to do that right now. Probably not until fall.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Hi all,

I'm new around here, but this thread caught my eye.

I'm just ordering a SB3 and intend to do some DIY modding. I've spent a fair amount of time researching on various fora and sites and have a list of mods i intend to make. Thought I'd share my thoughts...

1. Simplest mod and reported by some to be very worthwhile, is a PSU upgrade. I think this has biggest effect if using the analogue outs from SB3. Many have swapped the supplied switch mode PSU for an off-the-shelf linear supply. Others have built their own supply. I'm going to try the latter.

2. Next biggest boost (for analogue output) comes from upgrading the internal DAC and removing the opamp stage after it. GaryB here gives a good account of this mod and is consistent with professional modders (Bolder/Red WIne Audio)....
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19822

Beyond this, I'm not sure how big the gains will be. Other possibilities include...
3. Upgrading the RCA sockets should be easy.
4. looking at the internal pictures, upgrading internal power supply caps should be straight forward too.
5. The other mod that makes sense is to derive a cleaner supply for the DAC (comes from an internal switching supply). But looks complicated!
6. Can remove the headphone amp and the 12.28MHz oscillator (needed for some internet radio)
7. Damping material on remaining oscillator

Sounds like the preferred option is to use BlackGate N caps inside, with Panasonic FCs for some of the power caps.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Did any of you guys mod you SB3 yet?

Jun 19, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrydave
1. Simplest mod and reported by some to be very worthwhile, is a PSU upgrade. I think this has biggest effect if using the analogue outs from SB3. Many have swapped the supplied switch mode PSU for an off-the-shelf linear supply. Others have built their own supply. I'm going to try the latter.

I'm not a DIY'er but have built a simple Powerone linear power supply and this made a difference on how the SB3 sounds as a digital source to my Pioneer transport and the DAC1/ Zhaolu 2.0. More resolution and someone else described it as "more refined".

Jun 19, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 8
If I had the Squeezebox, the FIRST thing I would do is wire up a big SLA battery for PS. Squeezebox takes 5V DC, so you would need 5V regulator circuit on the 12V battery...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back