PLEASE PLEASE HELP
Nov 21, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #16 of 27
AD700 have great positioning if your bf plays fist person shooters.
wink.gif
and 115$ is almost 80$ less than what I had to pay for
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #17 of 27
If you get him the 700s and a Little Dot 1+, I'd say he owes you big time.

The Little Dot 1+ is $109 + $35 shipping.

This hits a little over your $250 and gives him a sweet beginner rig he can live with until he gets that big job.

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #18 of 27
Yes he does play first shooters. Sounds like $115 is a great price!

As for the Little Dot...Thats a whole other world for me! HaHa but I will def check it out.

Thank you so much for the help everyone! I feel like I've finally got something accomplished.
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #19 of 27
Peter Pinna,

Thanks for responding to my thread. A gift card is a great idea but for me I prefer to not go that route. Only because he's not into searching on the web. Thats my thing LOL So he wouldn't know the first thing to look for. He also would try to get something cheap LOL I wanted to just buy myself because this is something he would never go out and spend the money on for himself. He just keeps looking at the same ol cheapies that run about $30 in the store and thinks thats a lot LOLOL No he is no kind of sound professional (if you couldn't tell already) this is strictly for gaming purposes. Thats why if I can avoid it I preferred to not spend $300. Is an amp necessary? I just want him to have a great gaming experience. Nothing else. Thanks Again for your input.

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #21 of 27
I'd say don't worry about the amp. I think the Audio-Technicas are of reasonable value for gaming purposes, but I probably wouldn't go that high up. Keep in mind too that, he's not going to be listening to music, but probably more of just sound effects, so audiophile headphones may be a little over-the-top.

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #22 of 27
Oh okay. Thanks a lot! You have been a HUGE help! I feel confident purchasing now. Before all the feedback I was very unsure.

I have never posted before...Anywhere. But after this experience I will never hesitate to post again! : )

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #24 of 27
rockbottom,

He does listen to music too but I was searching for headphones mainly for his gaming. He does have an ipod and is always messing with it. So, he will use them to listen to music too. I don't mind if they cost a little more if it gets him great sound for both gaming and music.

I should mention he wouldn't be wearing this pair out with his ipod. And they would be plugged into his computer speakers not directly into ipod. I know that some ipods can't handle certain headphones.

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #26 of 27
To get the sound out of his PS3 or Xbox he'll need a receiver to bring out their sound; may I suggest a Yamaha rx-368 receiver?

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by L.O. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter Pinna,

Thanks for responding to my thread. A gift card is a great idea but for me I prefer to not go that route. Only because he's not into searching on the web. Thats my thing LOL So he wouldn't know the first thing to look for. He also would try to get something cheap LOL I wanted to just buy myself because this is something he would never go out and spend the money on for himself. He just keeps looking at the same ol cheapies that run about $30 in the store and thinks thats a lot LOLOL No he is no kind of sound professional (if you couldn't tell already) this is strictly for gaming purposes. Thats why if I can avoid it I preferred to not spend $300. Is an amp necessary? I just want him to have a great gaming experience. Nothing else. Thanks Again for your input.

Your welcome and I understand your decision. Regarding your question about the amp, it depends on the audio chain and the headphones you select. Some headphones require more "juice" than others to reach the "audio point" where they start sounding like they are supposed to sound. The AKG 701 (which I would not recommend for a gamer) as only one example practically demands an amp. I am not a gamer, so, any information I would have about "gaming headphones" would be from other sources. You can probably tell by my signature area that I really enjoy the Ultrasone Pro 750 which I use for recording productions and personal listening. I have never used them for gaming but I have been told by some who profess themselves to be "gamers" that they are excellent for that purpose. I have been told the same about the Ultrasone Pro 650. Where listening to music is concerned, I prefer the 750 over the 650. I have read a couple of the other Head-Fi member's posts who prefer the 650 over the 750 and there are some who do not like the sound of either probably because of their unique sound signature which I very much enjoy. The Ultrasones also tend to require less in the way of amplification (compared to some other headphones) but, don't misunderstand, all headphones sound better with dedicated amplification.
If you are uncertain about a dedicated amp, you might try the Behringer Amp 800, as I suggested in my previous post. It's only a $40 gamble and you could always send it back if you don't like it. I use it on my office computer and have always found the sound it produces to be enjoyable. No, the sound is probably not as good as a high priced dedicated amp (maybe, maybe not) but it is probably certainly more than sufficient for someone who will primarily use it for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back