Please Help
Mar 12, 2018 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Daddychunk

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I’m Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else on this forum, or answered many times before.
I have a Hiby dap with a Chord Mojo, the hiby dap has a coaxial digital out, so I had a wire made to connect the Hiby from coaxial out to the coaxial in on my Mojo (sounds amazing) I told my brother that I was double Dac’n, he told me that that is impossible and that the Mojo would bypass the dac(s) in my Hiby? A ridiculous argument pursued.... on Mother’s Day!
I was to believe a digital out to digital in would pass through two Conversions (dacs)???
Please answer this argument for me, l will be showing him the answer to this post, and if my brother is right, then go easy on me please, don’t make me look too bad,
BUT if I’m right....go for it , let loose.
Thanks in advance
Daddychunk.

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 6
In my understanding your brother is right.

DAC = digital (to) analog converter. So if you are using a digital out, the DAC in our DAP is not utilized.

EDIT: I don't know how you would convert a digital signal in to analog twice.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 6
I’m Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else on this forum, or answered many times before.
I have a Hiby dap with a Chord Mojo, the hiby dap has a coaxial digital out, so I had a wire made to connect the Hiby from coaxial out to the coaxial in on my Mojo (sounds amazing) I told my brother that I was double Dac’n, he told me that that is impossible and that the Mojo would bypass the dac(s) in my Hiby? A ridiculous argument pursued.... on Mother’s Day!
I was to believe a digital out to digital in would pass through two Conversions (dacs)???

DAC means Digital to Analogue Converter. Once a digital signal passes through a DAC then it becomes analogue. Which means you can't use a DAC to DAC the output of another DAC since the signal has already been converted.

Using a digital output from the source completely bypasses the DAC on that source unit, since you can't use a Digital to Analogue Converter to send out a digital signal to get DAC-ed by a second DAC.

Multiple DAC applications exist but they're either being used independent Left and Right channel DACs or in the case of older DACs, they use several DACs for both channels since older DACs tend to have quantization errors. Obviously, these have them on the same circuit boards, not passing a DSP chip that converts the signal into an SPDIF stream.

Please answer this argument for me, l will be showing him the answer to this post, and if my brother is right, then go easy on me please, don’t make me look too bad,
BUT if I’m right....go for it , let loose.

That's extremely self serving, as if thinking that you can DAC a DAC wasn't enough of a facepalm-inducing misunderstanding.

I can understand if you don't want people calling you a total boob for it, but to ask people to basically body slam your brother in case he's wrong but to basically lay you down onto a pile of pillows if you are is just....I mean, really, wow.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Yeah you owe your Bro an apology.

Mar 12, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 6
ProtegeManiac, you made me really laugh! Face slam received...I owe you a pint?
Many thanks to all , that told me the answer I didn’t want to hear.
Just for the record, it was tongue n cheek
I love my brother very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back