Please help
Dec 11, 2001 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cscotts

New Head-Fier
Ok first of all, let me just say that I've really, really tried to figure this out on my own, but I could really use some suggestions. I'm totally confused :p

I would like to get a pair of headphones (not closed, of this I'm reasonably sure) for somewhere in the $100 (+/- some amount is ok) range.

They will be used 99.9% of the time on my computer, with a SB Live! card. Some people say the Sennheiser phones have too high impedance for SB Live use, opinions--I don't need, ear splitting volume, so if that's the only downside, I could care less.

I've pretty much ruled out the Grados, because I live in a dorm, and I listen to music and stuff a lot after my roommate goes to sleep, and I don't want to make him go crazy.

My primary uses right now would be watching movies / tv type things on the computer (anime), and music listening, different kinds of music, (not jazz or rap though, those seem to have needs, and I don't listen to them at all), largely rock, and some kinds of metal right now (Blind Guardian, if anyone knows them). Some games as well, though emphasis probably on music.

Also, I wear my phones for long hours at a time often, so comfy is good--sennheisers seem really respected for comfort?

Right now I am probably leaning towards some variety of a sennheiser--model # I have no idea yet. Any suggestions at all would be totally appreciated.

thanks a lot,
Scott

Dec 11, 2001 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 3
Hmm, ok. You say you dont want closed cans but then you state you ruled out Grado's because it'll disturb your roommate. The only headphone i can recommend is (tada) Sony V6's which can be bought at Yahoo. They sound very crisp (a wee bit bright) and have very deep tight bass. Plus they sound great on a Sb live! card as i use it to listen to Mp3's. They are closed cans but pretty comfortable. I think most Sennheiser cans are open, the closed ones (i think) sound like crap. Anyway, research the V6's and see if they're to your liking, good luck.

George

Dec 11, 2001 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 3
First, thanks for the info and very fast reply.

My only reason for saying no to Grado's was the extreme leakage that it seemed a lot of people reported, otherwise I think I would have bought them--my objection to closed was merely that I thought people generally preferred the sound of open cans over closed? I think the V6's are what are used at the demo stations at our local CD store, and I do like them, so I may just go with them as per your suggestion.

thanks much,
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back