PLEASE help with Woo Audio Wa7d Fireflies and Mac OSX Yosimite 10.10 compatibility
Nov 28, 2014 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kjhman

New Head-Fier
Hey there guys. I'm really hoping someone can help me out here to get my wa7d fireflies up and running. I just got mine today and I'm hoping i didnt just buy a thousand dollar paperweight. I'm currently running Mac OSX 10.10.1 on my 2012 Mac Mini and I cant get my wa7 to be recognized. I've tried seemingly all the steps and remedies I could track down on google, but to no avail. Unplugging, replugging.... logging in as guest user... unplugging other USB connections....So this is my last attempt at hopefully finding a way to get this thing to be recognized. I am going into the "audio midi setup" and I cant get the "speaker" option to show up as is shown in other forums that I've run across. 

Does anyone else have a working wa7 on osx 10.10? If so, how did you do it? Is there some other 3rd party program that needs to be installed or something?

Thanks guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll be quick to give more info too if needed. 

Keith

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 19

Hello,

I'm using OS X 10.10.1/Macpro trashcan  - plugged in the Woo and no issues - it is called "speaker" in Midi control which is a bit odd but nothing else out of the ordinary for a USB DAC. I'd check my USB cable and connections. Also make sure you aren't running more than one app that wants the audio out (some default to HOG mode which could screw things up) when you next boot up.

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 19
Hey Steven,

thanks for the reply. I'm jealous of your trashcan :). But yeah i can't get the device to appear in the midi section at all. I'm thinking maybe my USB cable could be it? its not a high quality one, but it is brand new. I do have my setup going with an HDMI connection out of my mac mini to my Marantz receiver, but i don't think that could cause the hangup. I have a new USB cable coming thats a high quality one... hope that will do it...  sigh

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 19
I would try to isolate things - one cable directly to the Woo's DAC and no other audio outputs connected. I've seen situations where certain device can hijack the audio output. Try seeing what happens when the HDMI cable isn't connected - the mini could be defaulting to HDMI digital out.

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 19
Good thinking. I'm gonna give that a shot and get back with you. I had someone from woo audio contact me and recommend that I try the 1/8" to optical cord and that gives me the same audio quality. Is that true?

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 19
Some would argue that Toslink has in the past had higher jitter figures than USB and in many configurations has a maximum of 96/24, but not all Toslink interfaces are equal.  haven't tried it with the WA7.

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 19
I would have a hard time believing any minor differences in the digital jitter would actually be audible. There's far more fluctuation in the tubes of the WA7.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #8 of 19

My responses were to help someone get their system running, not having a discussion of "theory," which does nothing to solve the original poster's problem. Toslink was and still is "the last resort" connection, if not for sonics because it does not support the higher bit rates of high-resolution audio.

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #9 of 19
I'm actually in communication with a really nice guy through woo audio now that seems to know his stuff. This is what he said. Is this not true?

"Optical supports up to 192 as well as USB.
Honestly, USB and optical have the same great sound. In fact, optical rejects jitter better than USB since it is not shared with components like keyboard, trackpad and screen. You can also run optical longer lengths if necessary. Most people don’t use optical because most Windows PCs doesn’t have it."

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #10 of 19

Well i did try without my HDMI cable connected. No such luck there either. I have a better HDMI cable and powered USB hub on the way as well. So hopefully i'll be able to get this sorted out. Just my luck i guess.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 19

Optical is a good solution when ground loops could exist and where maximum isolation is needed. If Woo says their Toslink implementation is good and supports up to 192/24 then why not give it a try to see if it gives you a usable connection. Something should work. I assume you've tried different turn-on combinations - Mac first, Woo second and vice-versa. Also does "About This Mac" see any USB connection to the Woo? Ever?  

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 19
Steven,

I haven't tried different turn on combinations. I guess that's worth a shot. I'm thinking that either the USB cable I have is not compatible, some software on my Mac is blocking the connection, or that I have a bad USB receptical on the wa7d.

I have the optical connection right now being utilized by another device so I really would like to use the USB connection even if the toslink cable produces the same quality. I'm also gonna try to connect it on my sister MacBook pro to try to rule out my Mac mini as the source of the problem. I'll keep you posted.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 19
I too have the Duo Fireflies and can't get the Mac OS to see the device as a "speaker" using a USB cable; the owners Manuel does recognize this as I known issue and suggests a powered HUB and "high quality USB cable"... Has anyone had the same issue and resolve it with a powered USB HUB and cable? Any known rationale for this issue? Honestly I would have considered a Chord Hugo DAC if I know about this issue. :frowning2:

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #14 of 19
Some Macs have this issue. It's the chipset that Apple used causing this issue. The problem is even the same model/spec Mac won't necessary be able to duplicate the problem which makes it impossible for us to fix the issue. Try this unpowered USB hub. It should do the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/Cute-USB-2-Port-Splitter-White/dp/B00A81ISJ6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1444755124&sr=8-3&keywords=cute+usb+hub

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 19
Interesting. I am having this exact issue with my mid 2012 MacBook Air 11".

I tried plugging in the Woo WA7 into a friend's 2011 Macbook Pro 13" and voila, it immediately recognizes the WA7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back