Please help with purchase!!
Apr 21, 2002 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zanshin

New Head-Fier
Ok guys, I currently own a pair of Sony MDR-V700s, and I enjoy their sound... the thing is I can't wear them for very long.. maybe it's the super bass they present, or the way they fit.. I can't really tell, but they hurt my ears and my brain.

On some reading, yesterday I went and picked up some Sennheiser HD280s.. they've been running constantly since, in case of any necessary break in period, but I simply can't stand them. They're comfortable enough, if a little bulky, but the sound drives me nuts. Bass is lacking, highs are painful.

So, I need some recommendations!

I'm going to be listening to these new cans about 85-90% through an old McIntosh stereo system. I'll want them to be able to hold their own when I take them for the occasional walk or laying-in-bed session. I don't mind a little leakage, but don't want to annoy those around me either.

I don't want to buy a seperate headphone amp, so nothing power hungry.

Two I'm seriously considering - Beyer DT250-80s and Sennheiser HD25s (although I'm hesitant about these if they have any similar characteristics to the 280s)

What do you guys think? The AKG-401s look very nice too, but apparently they need too much power for me?

Please, help me out! Thanks!

Apr 21, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 6
The AKG does need a lot of power. I'd suggest trying the Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506. These have plenty of bass but it doesn't overpower the rest of the sound. I also think they're relatively comfortable.

Apr 21, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 6
While I'm perplexed at why you dislike the HD280's, the DT-250-80's are darker than the Sennheisers. Therefore, they should be easier on your ears. And they should have better bass also.

Apr 21, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 6
zanshin, before you give up on the 280s, make sure you give them plenty of time to burn in. Mine sounded the same way, even after I let them burn in for a few hours. I think it took mine 30 hours or so of burn in, but they sound great now. They remind me of the V700s, as far as size, weight, and impact goes - but they blow the V700s out of the water - tight extended bass rather than muddy and boomy like the V700s, and there are actually mids!

Apr 21, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 6
Ok guys, I'll give these things until Monday to change my mind. Does a burn in really make that much of a difference? I guess we'll see!

Thanks for your help. If I just flat don't like these, any other opinions other than the 250-80s?

Take care..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back