Please Help With IEM Decision
Aug 23, 2013 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DBurr

New Head-Fier
Need a good IEM that is a good compromise between SQ, Call Quality, and Cost (less than $200.00)

Not a bass-head,  prefer good clean accurate sound

After reading reviews I came up with these

[size=medium]Ultimate Ears 600vi [/size] [size=medium]$60.00[/size]
[size=medium]Phiaton PS 210i[/size] [size=medium]$80.00[/size]
[size=medium]MEElectronics A161P [/size] [size=medium]$82.00[/size]
[size=medium]Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi[/size] [size=medium]$90.00[/size]
[size=medium]Thinksound TS02 + mic[/size] [size=medium]$91.00[/size]
[size=medium]Audiofly 56 Series[/size] [size=medium]$91.00[/size]
[size=medium]Denon AH-C560R [/size] [size=medium]$99.00[/size]
[size=medium]Etymotic HF2 (Cobalt)[/size] [size=medium]$105.00[/size]
[size=medium]Rock It Sounds R-50M[/size] [size=medium]$126.00[/size]
[size=medium]ClarityOne™EarBuds[/size] [size=medium]$129.00[/size]
[size=medium]Shure SE215 + Mic [/size] [size=medium]$149.00[/size]
[size=medium]Phonak Audéo PFE + Mic 122[/size] [size=medium]$176.00[/size]
[size=medium]RBH EP2[/size] [size=medium]$179.00[/size]

If I missed something let me know

I am leaning towards the 600vi because of good reviews and the price $60.00

I also find the HF2's at $105.00 compelling

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

ReplyQuote Multi

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 15
Ok since no one else bothered to comment I will comment myself.

So far purchased
Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi                $45.00
Ultimate Ears 600vi                         $55.00
Etymotic HF2 (Cobalt)                     $99.00

Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi 

Has to be one of the best $45.00 IEM's out there.  Clear and detailed slightly warm, clean tight bass, good sound stage, great fit, low microphonics, and a very good built in mic.  This performs equally well for music and calls.  Changed buds to the Comply comfort with the screens

Ultimate Ears 600vi 

Jury still out on these, a bit too warm and the bass seems loose and sloppy. Seems to color the music way to much and I find it trying after a while. Sound stage is good but almost seems like it adds a bit of echo.  The mic is excellent, low microphonics,  good for calls, not so much for music, at least for me.  This one kinda surprised me because others have rated these quite well. Changed buds to the Comply comfort with the screens

Etymotic HF2 (Cobalt)

Got lucky with these since they are discontinuing the colors they were steeply discounted.  Really love these. Clear and detailed with a tight punchy bass (not for bass-heads like the Dre's) Music has wonderful separation and a great sound stage.  They are very neutral across the range. Never get fatigued with these.  They require a little more volume than the other 2 but plenty of headroom on my device (Nokia Lumia 928 which according to MS has the sonic quality of the Zune; certainly much better than my wife's iPod and son's iPhone.)

Low microphonics and has a slider to tighten the cord if you are moving a lot.  Changed the buds to Comply comfort w/screens and they fit perfectly, have good isolation, and stay in very very well; however I am going to take Etymotic up on there $100.00 deal to have an audiologist make custom fit ear-pieces, according to ety adds another 12db of isolation.  

Microphone is excellent and call quality is excellent.  Performs equally well on calls as well as on music; which I find to be excellent.

For just under $100.00 you just can't go wrong ( at least in my opinion )

Note: the HF2, HF3 and HF5 are essentially identical the HF5 is without in-line mic, the HF3 is for iPhone, the HF2 is for non-iPhones

Want to try out some of the others one the list, and I would like to try the new $200.00 Klipsch IEMs that have been raved about on here; but will wait for them to come down in price.

I will update once I get my custom ear-pieces from Etymotic.

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 15

Etymotic HF2 (Cobalt)

Got lucky with these since they are discontinuing the colors they were steeply discounted.

I'm in the market for a new pair of IEMs and have been seriously considering these. Out of curiosity, where were you able to get them steeply discounted? I couldn't find any reference to the colours being discontinued on the Etymotic website or on any of the retailers here in Canada that I checked.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 15
Yea the Vsonics gr07 mk2 really fit well with what you are looking for. They are really accurate and very liquid and have excellent instrument separation. Their soundstage isnt as wide as some other iems, but i think this makes it more realistic. Youll find a bunch of headfiers talking about them and i would recommend looking at some of the reviews on amazon too (the good ones btw).
Hope this was helpful
As for the brainwavz, i dont know much about them. THey have less bass emphasis than the vsonics and arent as sturdy, but the highs are a little clearer and instruemtn separation is great from what ive heard. Seems like a good buy, but i got the gr07 (bass edition btw - slight mid bass hump) for durability purposes. FUnny thing is that mine came with a broken plastic covering on the cable so i had to send it back :)(. lol)

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 15

I wouldnt get these. Durability concerns and sound quality can be found for better at the price range; even the re 400s were better than these in my opinion (for 100 bucks. Btw this is a fantastic set)
But yea i would stick to the gr07; spend the extra money. You wont be disappointed. And yes it performs way out of its league.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 15
hmm I find it interesting that all the comments (except for request of where I got the HF2) are about everything except what I had referenced in my original post...

Anyway, thanks but if I was going to consider Klipsch I would pick the X7i, which I am pretty sure is the reason the x10s are being discounted.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 15
  hmm I find it interesting that all the comments (except for request of where I got the HF2) are about everything except what I had referenced in my original post...

Anyway, thanks but if I was going to consider Klipsch I would pick the X7i, which I am pretty sure is the reason the x10s are being discounted.

Umm thats partly true. The x10z are being discounted because I think they arent selling that well. But the sound quality on the x10 exceeds the x7s, but the x7 has better build quality.
Yea sorry about the comments but i dont own the ones ur talking about and I think the gr07 will work for your needs very well.
But that is head fi btw :) NEver answer the questions, just go straight to what WE recommend. But im sorry bud I dont know the answer to your question with the headphones you listen so i helped in the way i could by recommending another one !!! :)

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 15
HifiMan RE400 and TDK BA-200 should be in your list. The RE400 I find quite pleasing through many sources and for $99 is amazing. Great instrument separation, decent soundstage, comfy fit, and something that can be listened to all day without fatigue. Neutral with a tad bit on the warm side, good bass extension and not boomy (midrange unaffected). Does great on many genres.

Now the TDK BA-200 should do well for $150. Unfortunately with tax here in WA state (Amazon is here and charges tax to in-states) puts them at $170 which is a little over more than what I want to spend on something I'll be wearing to the gym and under the motorcycle helmet. If you want more bass, the TDK IE800 seems to be a solid at $99 although reviews claim they benefit more from an amp than the former 2.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 15
  HifiMan RE400 and TDK BA-200 should be in your list. The RE400 I find quite pleasing through many sources and for $99 is amazing. Great instrument separation, decent soundstage, comfy fit, and something that can be listened to all day without fatigue. Neutral with a tad bit on the warm side, good bass extension and not boomy (midrange unaffected). Does great on many genres.

Now the TDK BA-200 should do well for $150. Unfortunately with tax here in WA state (Amazon is here and charges tax to in-states) puts them at $170 which is a little over more than what I want to spend on something I'll be wearing to the gym and under the motorcycle helmet. If you want more bass, the TDK IE800 seems to be a solid at $99 although reviews claim they benefit more from an amp than the former 2.

Agreed. THe TDK BA 200 is a little bass light in compared to the gr07 but better smoothness. I would go for it if you listen to a lot of classical or jazz. If you are more varied, the gr07 is a better choice.
And of course, for the price, the re 400 is almost impossible to beat and a great pair of iems for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back