Please Help With Dac/Amp choice
Sep 7, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #16 of 30

Yes you can hook them up that way. Depending on the price including shipping you might want to look into the Monoprice products posted by PurpleAngel - the most important feature in an active sub is present in both. Line level input and output can make everything easier to set-up.

Sorry for my ignorance, but "line level" in lamens terms? i did google, and still am not sure.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #17 of 30
  Sorry for my ignorance, but "line level" in lamens terms? i did google, and still am not sure.

In vary basic, practical terms, in this particular case (note that features may or should vary in other applications) it basically means that you can take the signal out of the preamp, filter it through to send some of that signal into the subwoofer amp (at whcih point the crossover kicks in to filter most of it out, giving the sub only bass frequencies), and then send it back out with as little loss and zero added noise.

In more general layman's terms it's basically any unamplified signal, whether fixed voltage (ie the 1.2volts out of an iPod all the way up to 2.2volts out of some DACs and CDPs) or variable/preamp that attenuates that output (ie some preamp outputs can go a lot higher - some car audio receivers go up to 4volts, but still the preamp just attenuates what the output circuit is capable of).

For the really technical explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #18 of 30
What is your price range OP?  I notice that these headphones scale well depending on your source and amp/DAC.  The best I've heard so far is pairing them with the Theorem 720.  The "veil" that some people insist is present with the hd650 is completely lifted with this pairing. My background is that I have had more expensive headphones and I am still impressed with these headphones.  They offer a very balanced sound with just the right amount of bass.  I've noticed that planars are all too bassy for my tastes, I don't listen to EDM or music where bass is the center of importance.  I prefer more natural sound.  I would say the hd650's are one of the most euphoric audiophile headphones ever made.  The Schiit stack will work OK, but it is far from what these headphones are capable of. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #19 of 30
  What is your price range OP?  I notice that these headphones scale well depending on your source and amp/DAC.  The best I've heard so far is pairing them with the Theorem 720.  The "veil" that some people insist is present with the hd650 is completely lifted with this pairing. My background is that I have had more expensive headphones and I am still impressed with these headphones.  They offer a very balanced sound with just the right amount of bass.  I've noticed that planars are all too bassy for my tastes, I don't listen to EDM or music where bass is the center of importance.  I prefer more natural sound.  I would say the hd650's are one of the most euphoric audiophile headphones ever made.  The Schiit stack will work OK, but it is far from what these headphones are capable of. 

I can shell out probably 5-700 US $ total for both the amp and dac. Also, as mentioned, would like to be able to hook up some monitors/sub for a 2.1 system a bit later on.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #20 of 30
  Thanks for that, i will take a look, i am in Australia, so if buying from overseas am limited by which companies deliver here. The M audio's can be purchased somewhat locally, but for a much higher price(always the way for us). I will certainly try Mono to see if they deliver though.

Monoprice does offer world wide shipping and I would assume shipping stuff to Down Under is possible.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #21 of 30

Guess "line level" is the normal non-amplified connection between a source (line-output) and the destination (line-input).

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #22 of 30

Monoprice does offer world wide shipping and I would assume shipping stuff to Down Under is possible.

wow.

Well for the 2.1 setup shipped to my place from Monoprice, is $322.84 US shipping.
Safe to say the prices are very exaggerated, i have had things close to the same size/weight be shipped from the US for much cheaper.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #25 of 30
  wow.

Well for the 2.1 setup shipped to my place from Monoprice, is $322.84 US shipping.
Safe to say the prices are very exaggerated, i have had things close to the same size/weight be shipped from the US for much cheaper.

Usually Monoprice has really good shipping rates?
Maybe you got the express air shipping price?
Maybe it's a lot cheaper for shipping by container ship (Standard shipping)?

Anyway, check out the JBL LSR308 studio monitors, assuming their sold by retailers Down Under, the JBL LSR series seems to be well liked.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #26 of 30

Usually Monoprice has really good shipping rates?
Maybe you got the express air shipping price?
Maybe it's a lot cheaper for shipping by container ship?

Anyway, check out the JBL LSR308 studio monitors, assuming their sold by retailers Down Under, the JBL LSR series seems to be well liked.

That was normal shipping, expresses was over $450.00. I will check out the JBL's, are the M-Audio's not very good then?

JBL  LSR308's take balanced input only it seems.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #27 of 30
I have a sort of unrelated question which i have been googling an answer for.

Is placing of a sub woofer under a desk going to reduce sound quality/tightness of the bass?
'
I am reading conflicting information.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorkz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a sort of unrelated question which i have been googling an answer for.

Is placing of a sub woofer under a desk going to reduce sound quality/tightness of the bass?
'
I am reading conflicting information.

It's highly dependent on room acoustics. In many cases it doesn't, in some cases they do. In some cases it's psychoacoustics because you are aware of where it is, in other cases it's really because the bass is bouncing off the table bits in ways that make it more audible as coming from below (ie you feel more bass on lower part of your body than a kick to the chest), in some cases it's actually ratting bits of the table if not the side panel of the computer chassis near it.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #29 of 30

It's highly dependent on room acoustics. In many cases it doesn't, in some cases they do. In some cases it's psychoacoustics because you are aware of where it is, in other cases it's really because the bass is bouncing off the table bits in ways that make it more audible as coming from below (ie you feel more bass on lower part of your body than a kick to the chest), in some cases it's actually ratting bits of the table if not the side panel of the computer chassis near it.

Yeah ok, i guess i will have to move it around and experiment. Thanks

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #30 of 30
  That was normal shipping, expresses was over $450.00. I will check out the JBL's, are the M-Audio's not very good then?

JBL  LSR308's take balanced input only it seems.

I like my Monoprice 5" studio monitors and I assume they sound about roughly the same as the M-audio (maybe older BX5a series, not the newer BX5 D2)
But the JBL series seems to the favorite.
The JBL LSR308 can work with a un-balanced source, just need to plug mono 1/4" plugs into the TRS jacks.
You would use stereo 1/4" plugs for a balanced connection (and the XLR for balanced connection)
I believe it's on page 7 or 8 of the JBL LSR305/308 manual, for connection types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back