Please help with a possible Trojan on my PC
Feb 17, 2010 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
Do any of these files look suspicious? I keep getting a scanner.exe error
and I think it has something to do with Squeezecenter.

Scanner.sysScanner in C:/Windows/Downloaded Program Files
Scanner.sysScanner in C:/Windows/occache
SCANNER.EXE-148FDB54.pf in C:/Windows/Prefetch
scanner in C:/Windows/system32
Scanner in C:/Program Files/Squeezebox/server

Ive run Malware Bytes, AVG Free 9.0 and both have come up clean.

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Download Hijack This and run it, and post the log here. That's a good first step.

hey, that's what i was going to say!

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 7
I know it's completely tedious, but you should download Spybot S&D and scan with this as well. Highjack this is also very good for eliminating specific rogue codes, so long as you identify which need to go.

Before going any further, you should export your reg. to a safe place. All it takes is for you to zap the wrong regges or exes, and it will be difficult to get back to a working system without restoring to a backup point or doing a full reinstall. Philosophically, I think that an annual full reinstall is salutary for the electronic constitution. And it puts hair on your palms--I mean chest.

I must confess that 50% of the time that I have been convinced that the problem was an infection or malware insurgency, it's actually been some new program or driver update that I had recently installed but which was not being digested by Windows. The trick is to eliminate the virus/malware possibility with as small a waste of time and as little damage to the system--with all the exe zapping and reg file deletion--as possible. Ask yourself, have you put anything new on the system lately? Can you boot up in safe-mode snappily? If you can, it may be new software or drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back