Please Help With A GPS System...
Feb 7, 2005 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RickG

Electrostatic Elvis
I want to get a decent portable unit that I can use in and out of the car. My max expenditure is around $500, however, I'd like to spend less.

I would really like something which is is dependable, ergonomic, easy to learn, and easy to use.

Can any of you folks help?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 7, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 9
Take a look at the Garmin or Magellan units . The Magellan units are a bit less money. Be aware that for in car use most of the portables require additional mapping software to be truly useful. You will also need an adapter so that it will run odd of the cars 12V. Color is a great option for readability. I ended up buying the Magellan Color with mapping, extra memory and car adapter and mount. A friend has the Garmin and he likes it very much. either one works great.

Feb 7, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 9
Garmin 2610, it's been around for awhile so you can have them for $500-600, It's a solid gps but you'll need to change the memory card to at least 512k. If you can stretch a bit more, you can have the 2620 which has US map built in. Garmin supposedly release a new wave of gps system to replace the 2610 and 2620 so you should be able to find some bargain

edit: Just to add some info regarding John jcb post, with garmin, there's nothing else you need to buy, it's all included in the unit.
My only gripes is taking awhile to get the satelite if I used them in Manhattan, an external antenna might be a good accesories, but I don't have any problems using them in Philly's center city.

Feb 7, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks guys. Just curious...are you familiar with this unit?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...102600-9600122

confused.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 9
THIS site helped me choose a Garmin 2610 a year ago. It's been good, and you can move it easily from car to car, but it's not portable ( unless you want to carry around a 12 volt battery pack with a cigarette lighter adaptor.) Garmin's iQue palm pilot style unit is nifty, but has had a lot of QC / durability problems.

Feb 7, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 9
I have been using a Delorme Street Atlas for a few months now and can honestly say it is one of the best investments (140.00) I have ever made. It is Laptop software that comes with an earthmate usb GPS unit you hang on your dash. It comes with a very extensive list of "places of interest" as well as a surprisingly complete and detailed built in streets in the included software. On my last trip to Florida, I was surprised to find dirt roads in the middle of nowhere showing up on the built in map. It really is an incredible little package. You can also pre-map your trips and it will talk to you telling you when to turn. It also accepts voice commands for hand-free navigation. If you already have a small laptop, it is a very good way to get a powerfull navigation set-up on the cheap.

Feb 7, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
edit: Just to add some info regarding John jcb post, with garmin, there's nothing else you need to buy, it's all included in the unit.

Thanks I was guessing (incorrectly) that both had similar marketing plans. The Magellan I have is available as a stand alone unit and you pick and choose what extras you need to fit your intended use.

Feb 7, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #8 of 9
I replaced my 12 year old Garmin with a new Garmin GPSMap60CS early last summer; light years difference in the technology and performance. My research at the time indicated the new Garmin was the best deal for offroad and road use. It can be found at the top end of your budget, but if you want to add city and topo maps, they are extra and only the Garmin maps work with this unit. I also got the basic accessory kit, which includes a couple of vehicle mounts and a power cord. This thing is designed to interface with a PC.

In use, the 60CS is a dream; intuitive, powerful, great big screen in relation to compact size, much better battery life, excellent sensitive reception, and lots of embedded functions. With its road navigation capabilities, mine was also a business expense (if that matters to you).

You might want to look here: http://gpsinformation.net

Sorry about your wallet.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back