Please help: Westone W40 vs Shure Se846
Oct 22, 2015 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HarlanDraka

Previously known as HarlanDraka81
Hi all, 

i'm looking for a new iem and i'm struggling in choosing between the westone w40 and the shure se846. I read the westone and shure threads but i still cannot decide which one to get.

My needs: Good and comfortable fit, good isolation when commuting, no leakage and sturdy. I mostly like headphones with tight and powerful bass, very good instrument separation and clarity in the midrange-highs. I don't like hot treble (i'm quite sensitive to treble).

Here in europe the price difference is huge between the two (shure se846 1100 eur, Westone w40 450 eur).

I'm coming from a pair of sennheiser ie8i which i find good but they don't quite have the clarity i like plus i'm unable to get a good fitting with any of the tips included. Isolation is also not very good for what i'm looking for.

I listen to many many genres of music so my next iem have to be good all arounders.

When commuting, i use my iphone 6 no amp to listen to music.

Many thanks!!

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm not sure why you're considering the Westone W40 against the Shure SE846 . If you have the budget for the Shure SE846 surely you could consider the Westone W60 or UM Pro 50?

I can't comment on W60, but I agree with with SureDie ... I've owned the Weston UM Pro 50 and the Shure SE846 and I far prefer the sound of the UM Pro 50 (though the SE846 are much sturdier).

But to be honest, whichever you decide to go with will be an improvement over the Sennheiser IE8i which is a bit flabby and bloated IMHO. The UM Pro have a similar sound signature, but tighter, with more detail and better separation. The SE846 possibly has even more clarity in the mids and highs but a quite narrow sound stage, and overall I just found the sound of the UM Pro 50 a LOT more enjoyable.

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Definitely the 846. I can't comment on the umpro 50 but I'm extremely familiar with the w30-60 and every shure IEM and beyond the w30, Westones are just way to aggressive for my tastes. Shure's are very silky smooth and have beautiful imaging and detail, Though I will say I believe the Westones are more transparent. Plus the filters are a nice change of pace every now and then. I use the neutral filters with the occasional change to bright (warm is way to dark for me). 

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 7
  I'm not sure why you're considering the Westone W40 against the Shure SE846 . If you have the budget for the Shure SE846 surely you could consider the Westone W60 or UM Pro 50?

I can't comment on W60, but I agree with with SureDie ... I've owned the Weston UM Pro 50 and the Shure SE846 and I far prefer the sound of the UM Pro 50 (though the SE846 are much sturdier).

But to be honest, whichever you decide to go with will be an improvement over the Sennheiser IE8i which is a bit flabby and bloated IMHO. The UM Pro have a similar sound signature, but tighter, with more detail and better separation. The SE846 possibly has even more clarity in the mids and highs but a quite narrow sound stage, and overall I just found the sound of the UM Pro 50 a LOT more enjoyable.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!

I could stretch my budget to get the shure se 846 but, of course, it's always nice to save some money :) Here in europe the price for the shure se 846 it's quite a bit more than US. I was reading about the w60 (here in europe more or less the same price as the se 846) but many people were writing they were not blown away by them (and if i spend 1100 eur on an iem, i expect at least a wow factor). Now i'm checking the um pro 50 (price ok, 660 eur plus i will need to purchase the iphone cable with the remote). I wonder if they would sound good straight out from an iphone without amp? Are the comfortable and with good isolation?how is the bass and soundstage? is the sound signature fatiguing? Thanks!! p.s i was never blown away by the ie8i sound signature, in comparison i just tried a pair of rha t20i,less expensive but with much better clarity

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks everybody! I went for the shure se 846 and purchased the Shure iphone cable (that i know is not the best cable ever but i really needed the remote for when i'm out walking). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back