PLEASE help! Westone 4, right side not working!
Mar 30, 2012 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

EricLThomp

New Head-Fier
These are 5 months old.  Right side went out last night.  Got them from Amazon through a third party.  Think the warranty is in effect?  Will Westone help me if needed?

I have a suspicion about what caused this:
What do you all do with your IEMs (no matter what type) ---  (those that work out with them OR play live music OR just plain sweat a lot) to keep sweat out of them? I have had them for about 5 months, just listening to ipod music. Tried them for the first time live on stage playing drums with one of my bands last night and suddenly the right tip (the original foams that come on them) was soaked with sweat and I noticed it would not stay in as well as the left side.  Then stopped working.  Hoping (and praying) it will start working after it drys out for a bit.

Any ideas (anybody had a side go out)...what should I do?

Thanks!
Eric

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 6
I am guessing there is debris keeping the driver from moving.  Water / sweat could short the electrical connection.  My Brainwavz M2 unscrew and you can clean around the drivers and especially clean the driver filter ( mesh ).

See if the come apart easily and clean them up as needed.

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
These are 5 months old.  Right side went out last night.  Got them from Amazon through a third party.  Think the warranty is in effect?  Will Westone help me if needed?

I have a suspicion about what caused this:
What do you all do with your IEMs (no matter what type) ---  (those that work out with them OR play live music OR just plain sweat a lot) to keep sweat out of them? I have had them for about 5 months, just listening to ipod music. Tried them for the first time live on stage playing drums with one of my bands last night and suddenly the right tip (the original foams that come on them) was soaked with sweat and I noticed it would not stay in as well as the left side.  Then stopped working.  Hoping (and praying) it will start working after it drys out for a bit.

Any ideas (anybody had a side go out)...what should I do?

Thanks!
Eric

It's probably the sweat's fault. Sad thing is that Westone didn't put any filters to protect the drivers. 

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 6
If you bought from a third party dealer, then your warranty may not be honored. Do ask the seller about it first. 

I also bought my Westone 4's through Amazon about a year ago. I had a similar issue where the right ear stopped working. Eventually it started to work again after a few days. That was about 10 months ago. For no apparent reason, just a few days ago, the right side stopped working again. I'm not sure what to do. When the original problem happened about 10 months ago, I contacted Westone directly and they told me that since I bought it through an unauthorized reseller, they could not honor the warranty. (I purchased it through Price Grabber on Amazon). This was the email they sent me: "I am glad that our customer service department was able to assist you with the RMA. Thank you for providing the proof of purchase, it will not be necessary to include it with your return. Unfortunately, Price Grabber is not an authorized Westone reseller http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/unauthorized-dealers so the repair will be handled on an out of warranty basis and repair costs will apply. In the event the technician is unable to repair your Westone 4 then you will have an option of purchasing a new, unpackaged unit for the discounted cost of $225.00 USD plus return shipping and that will come with a 90-day warranty. If you have any further questions, please let us know. Thank you and have a wonderful day." I ended up not opting to pay $225 for a refurbished set, and luckily they worked a few days later. I'm not sure if I'll be buying a new pair, or just hoping they'll work soon....If they don't, I might opt to get the Shure SE535's. (I've actually been very happy with the Westone 4's but the recurring problems I seem to be having are pushing me toward the Shure's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back