Please Help w/ Terminology
Nov 9, 2009 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JiPod

100+ Head-Fier
What is the appropriate terminology that describes non-colored SQ of a device? For example, to describe an amp that takes the analog signal from the source and "purely" magnifies this signal.

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 6
I think word your looking for is neutral. When SQ is described as being neutral it means it's faithful as possible to the original source.

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think word your looking for is neutral. When SQ is described as being neutral it means it's faithful as possible to the original source.

Thank you.
Are the terms FLAT and TRANSPARENT equivalent to NEUTRAL? If not, could you explain the difference?

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 6
Flat relates to frequency response and is a measurable spec. Transparent refers to the illusion of space between instruments, how clearly they are defined means better transparency.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flat relates to frequency response and is a measurable spec. Transparent refers to the illusion of space between instruments, how clearly they are defined means better transparency.

Thank you. I feel enlightened. It is NEUTRALITY that I am looking for.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 6
If you google audio glossary you will find all the explanations you need, glad to be of help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back