Please help-video card problem
Jan 6, 2007 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mega

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought this card to upgrade from my old Radeon X300:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121008

Seemed perfect..decent card, no fan, no need to hook it up to the power supply so my computer would be able to handle it with no problem. For reference, i have an PCI-E HP Media Center computer P4 3.2, 1gig ram, 300gb hd around 8 months old.

I hooked it up and got it running. everything was going smoothly, until i installed the driver cd that came with the card. Midway through the installation process, the program froze, and went to a choppy blue screen saying that the process looped out and something was wrong with a nvi.xx driver or card..something like that..along with telling me that the computer would reboot.

So now everytime i re-install the card , the computer would boot up, along with the windows xp loading screen, but it doesn't get into windows...instead, it tells me to check my video cable. When i go back to the X300, everything is fine again.

Did the card just die on me? Maybe the computer can't handle the card? I think the minimum wattage recommended for the 7600GS is 300, which my power supply is. My X300 has the same recommendation, so i can't see how my fairly new computer can't handle the card.

Any help would be great..it would suck if i had to RMA the card already.

Thanks.

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 6
Try booting from safe-mode, uninstall all video card drivers. Reboot back into safe mode, install drivers from the website and not the disk, then boot back into windows.

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try booting from safe-mode, uninstall all video card drivers. Reboot back into safe mode, install drivers from the website and not the disk, then boot back into windows.

x2

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 6
If unstalling the drivers in safe mode doesn't solve you're problem. Try using System Restore and restore to a time before you installed the driver for your card. Then I would suggest to download new drivers from the Nvidia site and install them and see if it helps.

Good luck!

Matthieu

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 6
Not likely but the video card in the old beast started causing reboots and blue screens saying a bad driver, wouldn't get to windows half the time you turned it on as well. Turns out the heatsink compound had dried up.

I say not likely as it's brand new but might as well check it's not running overly hot.

Jan 7, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the help guys. My video card is now up and running. Don't know why it gave me problems in the first place..

Another question- i downloaded the drivers from nvidia, but would it be better if i got the asus drivers instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back