Please help: Upgrading from T3 to B&W 685 Speakers with amp question
Apr 12, 2010 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

thecd84

New Head-Fier
Dear all,

I am currently looking to upgrade my PC sound. I am currently using Creative Gigawork T3, and I was thinking of buying a pair of B&W 685 that are to be driven by an amp. I would also like to add a subwoofer to it.

Do you think this will make an improvement of the sound, keeping the sound quality (CD quality) constant?

Can anyone recommend me an amp to drive the B&W 685? Is tube amp better?

And is B&W 685 a good speaker if combined with a right amp? Read that a lot of people recommend audioengine A5. Is A5 good, or should I just go with the passive 685 with a good amp?

My budget for the amp is about USD$450.

Thank you for reading, and I appreciate your help and insight.

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 3
Maybe not the right section of the forum, for the question,

IME B&W just rule, perhaps not the best on Rock side of music..
Whatever amplifier you buy should be good, just try that speakers and amplifier are similar priced, ,

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 3
Actually i think it is ok to post in this section... my younger brother is using the B&W 685 as desktop speakers as well, no issue.

A5 and B&W 685 are different leagues and different price range so u shouldn't compare them. For the lower frequencies for Rock genre, if u are concern, u can just add a gd sub. I think the B&W 685 is ok without a sub for most ppl.

I haven't pair any amp around your budget with the 685 so i can't recommend. But if u listen to rock, considering speed,attack,slam etc tube amps might not be the best option. (IMHO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back