Please help...tubes damaged before or during shipping?
Dec 13, 2002 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ze-ant

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a 2A3 power tube from a seller on eBay which arrived damaged. The tube was shipped wrapped in a thin piece of foam and packed tightly in a cardboard tube box, which was then wrapped with bubble wrap.

Although I would have packed them better, I believe that the tube was damaged before it was shipped out, since the damage occurred to the base of the tube, which was loose (or more precisely, part of the glass attaching the plastic base to the base of glass part of the tube had broken off and was rattling in the tube) rather than the main glass part of the tube, where I would have expected any damage to have been sustained, in the event that the tube was damaged during shipping. The main glass part of the tube was essentially separated from the plastic base.

Since I need to know when the tube was damaged, in order to go after the right person (the seller or the shipper, since it was shipped fully insured), I would be grateful if any of you could share your opinion. Thanks so much!

Dec 13, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 3
Having worked for a courier company in a previous life, I think you'll find that no courier insures glass for damage...

So... the seller will blame the shippers... the shippers won't pay up, and there you are minus cash, and with a useless ornament

Sorry

Dec 13, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by ze-ant
Although I would have packed them better, I believe that the tube was damaged before it was shipped out, since the damage occurred to the base of the tube, which was loose (or more precisely, part of the glass attaching the plastic base to the base of glass part of the tube had broken off and was rattling in the tube) rather than the main glass part of the tube, where I would have expected any damage to have been sustained, in the event that the tube was damaged during shipping. The main glass part of the tube was essentially separated from the plastic base.

Not so. Sometimes the adhesive used to afix the bakelite bases to 2A3s and other early-ish tubes I come across has dissolved and made this juncture loose. When this happens, very little force is required to snap the wires leading to the pins. The fragile glass seal sandwiching the wire network usually goes along with it. So, yes, it might have been a suspect tube to begin with, but with the way the seller packed it and the distance it must have traveled getting to you, I'd call the mail carrier on this.

NGF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back