Please Help : Sub Bass comparison -> B&W P7 Wireless VS Denon AH-D7200
May 2, 2018 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

3rik

New Head-Fier
Hi all !

Got A Plenue R DAP and a Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless, that I use wired.
I was happy with it until I've put some Public Enemy albums in the Plenue. Compared to my DAC/amp (Denon PMA-60 with KEF speakers and KED subwoofer) I hear no sub bass with the P7 Wireless on the track "beat them all" (the latest P.E. album) :frowning2:

So I've Googled for an over-ears headphone that could be OK. I like luxious building and design.

I have first read that the latest Denon AH-D7200 can deliver a good amount of sub bass, so I've ordered one (I'll have it on Saturday). But... I've read other reviews that say that the D7200 isn't a bassy headphone :frowning2:

Please what do you think about this ? Can the D7200 deliver a lot more bass (AND sub bass) than my B&W ?

I thank you for your help !

Best,

Eric

May 2, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 7
I love the 7200 and to my ears, they do deliver more (quality) sub-bass and less mid-bass than the BW. Which is a good thing, afaic. The Denon do hit hard when necessary.

May 3, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 7
I thank you

I don't like mid bass that much so it is a good point.

So you say that the D7200 isn't very bassy/sub bassy ? I need to hear very powerfull sub bass on the Public Enemy track I told ( and all P.E. sub bass in general) (they are 20 and lower to 40Hz).

Thank,

Eric

May 3, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 7
The Denon is superior to the P7W (I owned both) in that aspect (and all others as well except portability) as it doesn't roll off so soon, thus giving you more sub bass. It's also noticably more controlled or let's say has much less distortion overall and down low.

One important thing to note is that the decay of the P7W is much slower, thus making the bass linger longer (als leading to more frequency masking). Some people like that. I don't.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 7
I don't waste thoughts about burn-in, I just listen for a good and great while from time to time and try to understand how this headphone "works" (get accustomed to it) under various applications (music, movies, gaming etc).
IIRC people said 150 hours though. Just ask in the corresponding thread.

May 3, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 7
I thank you

I don't like mid bass that much so it is a good point.

So you say that the D7200 isn't very bassy/sub bassy ? I need to hear very powerfull sub bass on the Public Enemy track I told ( and all P.E. sub bass in general) (they are 20 and lower to 40Hz).

Thank,

Eric
No, what I said is that 7200 has more sub-bass than BW in my opinion (both P7 and P9). It's just less bloated in the mid-bass region. The Denon go deep and powerful, while staying textured and controlled. I love their lows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back