Please help! Should I get LCD3 with HD800 or LCD3 with TH900?
Sep 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #32 of 59
There are no bad choices here.  The Bakoon seems to play nice with all headphones if the output power is to your liking, re. the HE-6.

OK archeryc, you need to get off the dime here.  Get the HD 800 first, since they will complement your LCD-3s best, and then later, if/when you have the money, get the TH900s to add the bass and body character that will make your music more euphonic.

I'm not sure what the HE-6 will do for you relative to your LCD-3s.  The T1 will lean toward analytic and revealing, much like the HD 800, and may well be a suitable replacement for it, if you're persuaded that way. The HD 800 are the better choice, IMO, at least for seconds.

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #34 of 59
The HD-800 shouldn't be sibilant with the nice amp you have, and it has plenty of sub bass too. This solves your worries of a narrow soundstage and it's unquestionably king of the dynamic headphone hill. Just do it :)

Hi brunk, which cable are you using for your HD800? Is the cardas clear a good fit for the 800?

IMO I prefer the sound of LCD3 better than HD800, the LCD3 is more musical and better bass quality to my ear, the HD800 just have larger soundstage, more like an analytic headphone than a music headphone. But this is just my opinion, and the 800 I heard last time is on another amp, not the Bakoon HPA21. :)
The HD800 can be an extremely musical headphone when given a particular amp. I think youll be quite impressed with the HD800 and a tube amp or a solid state with tube characteristics.

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #35 of 59
Damn.. I sorta want a TH900..

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #36 of 59
There are no bad choices here.  The Bakoon seems to play nice with all headphones if the output power is to your liking, re. the HE-6.

OK archeryc, you need to get off the dime here.  Get the HD 800 first, since they will complement your LCD-3s best, and then later, if/when you have the money, get the TH900s to add the bass and body character that will make your music more euphonic.

I'm not sure what the HE-6 will do for you relative to your LCD-3s.  The T1 will lean toward analytic and revealing, much like the HD 800, and may well be a suitable replacement for it, if you're persuaded that way. The HD 800 are the better choice, IMO, at least for seconds.

Thank you for your suggestion! I have decided to go for the HD800! :)

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #37 of 59
Sorry guys for my late response. I have decided to go for the HD800. Thank you so much again for all of your kind opinions. :)

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #38 of 59
Sorry guys for my late response. I have decided to go for the HD800. Thank you so much again for all of your kind opinions. :)
Excellent choice. Now your search for dac, amp, cables, plugs, and power management begins..

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #39 of 59
I have heard the HD800 under my Bakoon HPA-21, just like 6moon review says, AMAZING!! I don't think the HD800 is an analytical headphone anymore. :)

For DAC, now I'm using HDP-R10 line out to my Bakoon amp, so far I'm quite satisfied with the sound from its sabre 9018 chip.

Now the main problem is cable, what cable you guys suggest for the HD800? From the HD800 thread seems that the Cardas clear and the MoonAudio black dragon V2 is the good fit for HD800... Any ideas about other options? :)

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #40 of 59
I like moon audio's cables.

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #41 of 59
I have heard the HD800 under my Bakoon HPA-21, just like 6moon review says, AMAZING!! I don't think the HD800 is an analytical headphone anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif

For DAC, now I'm using HDP-R10 line out to my Bakoon amp, so far I'm quite satisfied with the sound from its sabre 9018 chip.

Now the main problem is cable, what cable you guys suggest for the HD800? From the HD800 thread seems that the Cardas clear and the MoonAudio black dragon V2 is the good fit for HD800... Any ideas about other options?
smily_headphones1.gif

The 2 main contenders I have heard about for the HD 800 cable upgrade are Toxic and Q.  I happen to like Double Helix as well, but I don't know if they make a HD 800 cable.

Told you.  The Bakoon rocks with all the headphones I've tried it with, but the HD 800 combo is particularly sweet.  I actually had a hard time going back to the TH900 pairing, but then I welcomed back the extra bloom and bass when I finally did.  I still go back to the HD 800 on occasion when I want the definition and neutrality that the HD 800 gives.  Amazing amp, tho, whot? 
cool.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #42 of 59
Now I'm wondering how LCD-X and LCD-XC sounds like... Hahaha

From their price the LCD3 seems still standing above them. ($1945 vs 1799(XC) vs 1699(X))

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #43 of 59
I saw Jude's CanJam sneak preview, too.  Let me tell you here it it'll never end.  You just have to decide at some point just what is good enough for you, and get off the merry-go-round (if you can).  There will always be new and improved and new player entries.  You just have to learn to be satisfied with your gear of choice.

The LCD-X and XC sound seems to be more neutral, according to jude.  More geared toward studio monitor voicing.

Good luck with that, BTW. 
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #45 of 59
I saw Jude's CanJam sneak preview, too.  Let me tell you here it it'll never end.  You just have to decide at some point just what is good enough for you, and get off the merry-go-round (if you can).  There will always be new and improved and new player entries.  You just have to learn to be satisfied with your gear of choice.

The LCD-X and XC sound seems to be more neutral, according to jude.  More geared toward studio monitor voicing.

Good luck with that, BTW.  :wink:

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I'm really satisfied with my LCD3 now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back