Please help select closed back HF under $300 to make office background noise blisfully disappear behind classical music
Nov 9, 2015 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

noobaphile

New Head-Fier
I work in a large open room with others and am looking for something to get rid of the background noise. Quite a while ago I spent a lot of time with a decent stereo (Infinity Kappa's driven by Adcom power amp), so I can appreciate good sound, but compared to the crap headphones and computer speakers I'm currently using whatever I get will probably sound like heaven. This is my first foray into (reasonably) good headphones.  Unfortunately I live in the sticks, and options to test headphones are limited to BestBuy and other retail big box stores.
 My assumptions/priorities/plans are as follows:
Fixed:
-Comfort, durability, and convenience are higher priorities than pure listening quality.  I would like to be able to put these puppies on and comfortably have the neighboring environment disappear for hours at a stretch with minimal hassle.
-budget of $200-$300.
-Closed back is probably mandatory.
-Generally listen to classical music and some jazz, I think I like a pretty flat response curve (too much bass or treble sounds bad to me).

Planning on, but open to suggestions:
-Spotify Premium for source, most likely through a web browser.  Installing the desktop app on a work computer might not be much of an option, and running the iPhone all day every day seems a bit of a hassle
-I'd prefer the headphones don't require an amp, I don't want more cords and another item to either plug in or recharge
-I'm leaning towards a corded set of headphones that do not do noise cancellation.  My reasoning is that cancelling is something else to charge, and at this budget, there's likely a tradeoff of performance if you spend some of the product money on the noise cancelling tech.  Similar logic towards bluetooth vs corded.  Call me tin hat crazy, but I'm also not thrilled with the concept of having an EM transmitter next to my skull 10 hours a day (yeah, headphones don't transmit often on BT, and running an antenna (cord) from a trasnmitting device (phone) to my head probably has a similar, near-zero, health risk, yada yada yada).
-ideally the headphones will have a mic so I can do make/take calls through the computer without switching headphones

I was leaning towards the NAD Viso HP50, but it looks like they can only do phone calls on an iOS device. I'd appreciate any suggestions and critical feedback on any of my assumptions.

If you think I'm wasting money by spending that much for the given purpose and a $100 set would suffice let me know, and similarily I'm open to hearing arguments for an amp,  if the combination fits into the budget.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions, it looks like there's a ton of knowledge on this site. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back