Please Help!!! My post gets buried in the other thread!
Jan 11, 2012 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

havishpatel

New Head-Fier

Hi,

I am looking for some over ear headphones, that cost no more than £130 (note- English currency)! This included the price of an amp (if I would need one- please recommend!). 

I would really like them to be portable (folding/lightweight) and look good! However, I am willing to sacrifice both of these for sound. 

I like listening to hip hop, RnB, pop, a little rock and dubstep.

My source is an ipod touch 3rd gen. 

I am looking for a set of headphones that have amazing sound quality but also bring the music to life and make it incredibly enjoyable to listen to- for example I listened to the srh840's and although they had great sound quality, there was little life in the music in my opinion, it was just for analytical listening (I know that is their intended purpose). I would also like great bass- so you can actually feel the vibration!

Any other questions please ask :) 

Thanks in advance :)

My post keeps getting buried in the:

Buying headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!"

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 5
Maybe keep your SRH840 and get a Zo bass boosting amplifier?

http://www.digizoid.com/the-zo/

I haven't heard one personally, but from what I've read from numerous sources, it works just as advertised.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 5
One set of reasonably portable headphones with a bass emphasis is the M Audio Q40.  Haven't heard them though. 

Another set with bass emphasis is the Sony MDR XB700.  I'm not sure I'd call them portable...big earpads on these.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 5
I recommend the Ultrasone HFi-780. These are fantastic and present the music as it was intended to be heard. The bass is a bit boosted so it's not a totally flat sounding headphone but that's what makes them fun, great sounding headphones that let you hear things you've never heard before and they have good bass. They don't need to be amped but I suggest the Fiio e7.

Getting the e7 will put you a bit over budget but I believe it will be the best product to spend your money on in this situation, where, you don't want to spend a whole lot, you want portability, and you want to get they most out of your headphones.

Hope this helps!

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I listened to the srh840's and although they had great sound quality, there was little life in the music in my opinion

Its normal, even if the srh840 is an efficient headphone, they really shine with an amp. With srh840 the difference can be huge depending of the amp.

Quote:
I like listening to hip hop, RnB, pop, a little rock and dubstep.

My source is an ipod touch 3rd gen.

Like Redrider469, HFi780 can be a very good choice, but...

Quote:
I would also like great bass- so you can actually feel the vibration!

...if you want that, take HFi580 imo. HFi780 has better SQ, but if you really want more punchy bass, try the 580.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back