Please help me upgrade my computer.
Apr 7, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #32 of 44
Im sticking with my insanely clocked gf4 ti4400.

Nvidia said that ther next gen card due out soon will outperform the current best by at least 4x or he will be very dissapointed.

This I cant wait for
biggrin.gif
if it's not just hype.

The current cpu's are fine, it's the vid cards that are lacking.

I dont think hl2 will be much more optimised since it's a beta for christ sakes (sake =) ). Even more so if they were thinking of releasing something like that in April. They are most likely thinking crap, this will not run on current hardware so lets use the leak to our advantage.

D3 is even worse. OMG I seriously hope they will make it run atleast at 5fps
smily_headphones1.gif

I predict that games will ship with liquid nitrogen in the not too distant future.

Apr 7, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #33 of 44
The playable leaks of Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 were unoptimized alphas, and not representative of the current builds.

Performance of ATI's mid-range and up cards was excellent in Half-Life 2 during Valve's presentation at Shader Day, and John Carmack has gone on the record saying Doom will run twice as fast when it ships.

It's relatively safe to say that those who invested in the R300+ series will be good to go with this coming generation of games.

Apr 7, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #34 of 44
The hl2 I tried was beta not alpha and it was most definately not playable.

Even if D3 was 2x the speed. 5fps -> 10fps. woo hoo.

Apr 7, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
The hl2 I tried was beta not alpha and it was most definately not playable.

You work at Valve? I don't think so. There is no beta floating around.

Quote:

Even if D3 was 2x the speed. 5fps -> 10fps. woo hoo.

I find that hard to believe, even with an antiquated GeForce with pixel shading performance like molassis. Most have reported performance of around 60fps at 1280x1024 with 9700 Pro cards, and that was accurately reflected in the HardOCP benchmarks that were pulled at the request of id.

The XBox will supposedly run the game at full detail at a playable clip, so it's not unreasonable to expect the same on hardware multiples more powerful.

Apr 7, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #36 of 44
Right I need to work at Valve to get a beta
rolleyes.gif

About D3...try it out then come back and comment.
Same goes for hl2.

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
rolleyes.gif

Apparently you do, since unlike the stolen source code and the content created and packaged on the black market with those included tools, a Half-Life 2 beta does not exist outside Valve's inner circle

Quote:

Same goes for hl2.

I won't download stolen software, but your absurdly low numbers don't jive with the rest of the enthusiast community.

1052729768FyFQIMpRcj_2_1.gif

Half-Life 2

1.gif

Apr 8, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
rolleyes.gif

Same goes for hl2.

Apr 8, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
they aren't stupid enough to release a game that people can't play.

Sierra did and they were almost class action sued.

there are plenty of almost unplayable games out there.

as for AA, who uses it? When it comes to interplay most people turn off all the bells and whistles.

So what's the least common denominator now, a 733MHz ?

Quote:

Originally posted by Sumb
The XBox will supposedly run the game at full detail at a playable clip, so it's not unreasonable to expect the same on hardware multiples more powerful.

Halo supposedly ran slower on the PC than on the XBox.

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Halo supposedly ran slower on the PC than on the XBox.

So do most XBox ports thanks to the developers complete unwillingness to spend a shred of effort making code that runs efficiently on the PC platform.

It's pathetic that a game generations beyond the technical complexity of Halo such as Far Cry can run so incredibly faster and more consistent. Gearbox used PS 2.0 as their excuse for sluggish performance for the longest time and here came Far Cry out of left field with the heaviest use of it yet.

Apr 8, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by pedxing
If you do decide to do a processor upgrade, I would stick to Intel because AMD motherboard chipsets are unstable (including AMD, nvidia, via, and SYS).

sorry, but i have to disagree with this. as would many, i would think. i would actually suggest an amd chip/mobo combination.

Apr 8, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by butkovsky
sorry, but i have to disagree with this. as would many, i would think. i would actually suggest an amd chip/mobo combination.

If you do go that route, choose VERY CAREFULLY! Many AMD-processor-based motherboards (and some Intel-processor-based motherboards, as well) are quite unstable. The chipsets used are not to blame. Instead, blame such crappy stability on the cheap, low-quality parts that some companies use on their motherboards, irrespective of the chipset being used.

Moreover, stability isn't cheap! Go too cheap on the motherboard, and all you'll get is crap for stability. The most stable desktop motherboards on the market, IMHO, aren't always the most expensive ones - but rather those that deliver the fewest features for a relatively high price. In other words, the most stable mobos are generally those that are the most grossly overpriced for the features that they offer. And whether it's an AMD-based mobo or an Intel-based mobo is irrelevant, in this case.

Apr 8, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
If you do go that route, choose VERY CAREFULLY! Many AMD-processor-based motherboards (and some Intel-processor-based motherboards, as well) are quite unstable. The chipsets used are not to blame. Instead, blame such crappy stability on the cheap, low-quality parts that some companies use on their motherboards, irrespective of the chipset being used.

Moreover, stability isn't cheap! Go too cheap on the motherboard, and all you'll get is crap for stability. The most stable desktop motherboards on the market, IMHO, aren't always the most expensive ones - but rather those that deliver the fewest features for a relatively high price. In other words, the most stable mobos are generally those that are the most grossly overpriced for the features that they offer. And whether it's an AMD-based mobo or an Intel-based mobo is irrelevant, in this case.

understood. i suppose i misunderstood your original post. my bad. just seemed like a blanket statement against amd, and while i would not be qualified an amd fanboy, i do recognize all that they have to offer. unfortunately, so few do.

anyway, actually, though, i am running an amd chip with a feature-rich msi board, nvidia's chipset, overclocking my chip by almost 500mhz and my system has run flawlessly for the last year or so (knock on wood). but this came with a lot of research of components, and using quality compnents for most of my system.

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Sierra did and they were almost class action sued.

They did/were? I assume this was Half-Life, as I can't really think of any other major title they released. But anyway, if it was, I thought it was supposed to run on a 266... and hey, running at 640x480 still counts as running
biggrin.gif

[/QUOTE]there are plenty of almost unplayable games out there.[/QUOTE]

Such as?

Quote:

as for AA, who uses it? When it comes to interplay most people turn off all the bells and whistles.

As long as your hardware can handle it, (i.e. you're above 60fps), why not activate it? Maybe not the insane 16x AA that's available in some games, but 2x, or 4x, hey, a top of the line system can usually handle it.

Quote:

So what's the least common denominator now, a 733MHz?

Anymore, I'd say about that. Maybe 550MHz. We had one for quite some time; until the P4 was up to 2.8GHz or so, I think. But it's probably bumped up a bit since then. But the real question are the video cards and RAM. A 733 isn't all that slow if it's combined with a decent video card and a good amount of RAM. Sure, it won't run UT2K4 with everything maxed out, but I bet it could handle 800x600 if things were tuned down enough. (OK, so *I* could handle it at 800x600. But I'm used to playing at low framerates)

(-:Stephonovich:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back