Please help me troubleshoot my computer setup! (w/ E-MU 1212M installed)
Sep 18, 2005 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Disiskurt

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, just to get this out into the open, I am massively incompetent when it comes to anything audio/software related. That said, my setup is as follows:

E-MU 1212M (bought new and sealed off eBay, or was it?) > Headphile CPU Series dual 1/4" to RCA (bought used, maybe broken?) > Headsave Classic V2 (bought used, but I'm pretty sure this works) > Beyerdynamic DT770-80 (bought used, but I know this works)

It's bad enough that the E-MU has two PCI cards worth of inputs, and all of them are weird and screwy...but I cannot get any sound out of this at all. Patchmix is showing activity in the "Wave L/R" column (but no other columns) when a track is playing, but I'm not getting anything through my headphones. Also, under control panel, it does list E-MU DSP as the audio device for everything. I have no idea how ASIO, Patchmix, or any audio software works, so if it has to do with that I will need to be severely babied through the steps. The computer that the E-MU is in is newly built, and very little has been set up on it since, including anything sound related.

Also, how are the Headphile cables designated for L/R? I can't find anything on the website saying anything, and I don't know which way to put them in. The Headsave Classic doesn't designate L/R, and the E-MU oddly has the left output on the right side and the right output on the left side

Also, it's not really a possibility with what I currently have to test the cables or amplifier into a different setup. The Headphile cable is the only interconnect I have for the amp or soundcard, so they are kinda stuck together. If absolutely necessary, I can buy other cables (but that would only be useful in testing if the amp works.)

I'm just getting really sick of the difficulty associated with this E-MU sound card. I just moved to college and can't even listen to my music, so I am seriously considering downgrading to the AV-710 or Revo 5.1 if I can't get this resolved. I mean, it also opens the door for computer speakers, which might be more appropriate for a dorm than the Sonic t-amp/Athena AS-B1 setup I would be getting if I stayed with the E-MU.
____
I know this whole post is any combination of vague, confusing, disjointed, and poorly thought out, but I really need help from you guys. Any help that I receive on this is greatly appreciated. Be sure to let me know if there's anything else I need to describe before it can be determined what my problem is. Thank you very much for reading.

Sincerely,
Kurt

Sep 19, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 5
I don't know anything about the 1212m, but in general, you'd probably have better luck with a divide-and-conquer approach than trying to debug it all together.

Take the amp out of the picture entirely. Plug your beyers or some cheap computer speakers directly into what you think is the line out of the e-mu. Now play a sound via the XP 'Sounds' control panel.

If you don't hear anything, then either you're plugged into the wrong output, or the card isn't setup correct/not working. Try different outputs first, then worry about the card.

If you do hear something, then try playing some music with your player of choice. If you don't hear anything, then the player config is likely the culprit.

If all that works, then add your amp back into the mix and see if that works.

Then you can begin to worry about ASIO/kernel streaming, if you want.

Let us know where things break down... Too many unknowns to even guess at this point.

Sep 19, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 5
PatchMix can be a bit frustrating for new users. Like anything else, learning how to use it takes some time and effort.

You didn't mention what software you're using to play music. Since the WAV strip Peak Meter shows activity, I'll assume it's iTunes.

On the WAV strip, right-click on one of the empty boxes below the Peak Meter. Select "Insert Send (Output to ASIO/WAVE or Physical Out)" and then select "I/O Card Out 1/2."

You may delete other unnecessary inserts.

Save the session.

This is one way of playing your music through the 1212m's analog outputs.

Sep 19, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 5
This is a basic session for patch mix , open it using the icon 2 on the left of the EMU logo , it'll also do you ASIO input from winamp and foobar at 44khz
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 5
It's working! Thank you all so much, I deeply appreciate your help.

- Kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back