Please help me to find a portable HD-280pro?????
Aug 24, 2005 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

apotek

Head-Fier
Hi;
It has been a very long time since i post something here..But I am back with a new question.Recently I had some extra money to spend
smily_headphones1.gif
So why not getting a new headphone.

This is what I am looking for..Something like will sound HD280 but portable..I mean I would like to wear my 280s out but they are huge..It has to be closed and I don't care if it is full sized...I have Px200 and also recently I bought the hd201 but none of them as good souding as hd280s..I am planing to buy mdr-v6's since they are highly recomended and also wearable outside...also I found aout about these akg k 26 p..kind of cheapy but if it would give me a 280 feelings why not..

Please don't recommend me sr-60 because i have them and they are open.Also I have er4p so no earplugs either....All I am looking for closed portable and wearable cans...please help me...

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 27
I cant tell you what sounds like the HD280... because I havent found anything else like it. I can however tell you what doesn't sound like the HD280:

K240s-55
DT770-80
SR60
SR40
MDRV6
KSC75
e2c

All the above are very colored, in some way or another, and hence are very different sounding compared to the 280

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 27
Portable cans normally emphasize bass.
The HD280, well is very flat in the mids, so liquidy smooth, that sound is great! But the bass is attenuated,[in the pop music boom regions] but not so much in other parts of the bass, so instead of being colored, there is a recession.
Because that Portable cans emphasize bass its hard to find something like this that emphasizes mids.

I cant really help your direct question, but i say the V6 is not gonna help your quest, it is in fact recessed in the mids for vocals that 'round" them out making them real. THe V6's vocals compared to a good speaker BA Cr67 sounds more like the singer has a cold plastic throat. instead of a warm fleshy throat. The low mids are its weakness.

Aug 24, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 27
ok...any more ideas????Is there any headphone that fits to my needs???

Aug 24, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Arainach
Yeah, the HD-280s. They don't require an Amp and aren't that bad to carry around. They work fine as portable phones.

apotek says
".I mean I would like to wear my 280s out but they are huge."
-----------------------------------------
^ he said he already has 280s.

Apotek, I used many portable phones and nothing sounds anywhere with the mids like a HD280 pro. All portables had boomy bass and screechy highs and recessed mids. Even the proclaimed Koss series. No koss i tried thats portable has great mids. NO sony portable i have tried has great liquidy piano playing mids.

ITs because the mids are Hi Fi quality and ranks with higher quality headphones.

An option if you can tolerate it is a
SHURE e2c Ear canals. These measure flat, their presentation is balanced
with all the frequencies, but i have not auditioned them, I just say the best options for portable flat sound is IEM, ear canals. The stuff musicians on stage use.
They will block noise, so its not safe for outdoor things, ..i almost got hit by a car just walking about! [using koss plugs]

Aug 24, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 27
i am not sure how portable you needs your cans..depends on your activity.

gshan as i can tell you own the Eggos, how would these compare to my V6? have you done any comparison?
For the V6 the mids are a bit dry.

Aug 25, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 27
well thanks for all the replies...looks like we are not going to find a portable cans as good as hd280pro's..I almost bought a v6 today but I wanted to wait little longer to see head-fi'ers ideas...anybody compared hd280pro's to akg k 26p??I know that they are two diffirent leagues but still I would like to know if akg close to senn's or not??also anybody compared akg to senn pxc 200??i have the pxc200 and I am not really happy with them...I have the e2's but i really want a cans not iem's....so please help
smily_headphones1.gif
))

Aug 25, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Sword
i am not sure how portable you needs your cans..depends on your activity.

gshan as i can tell you own the Eggos, how would these compare to my V6? have you done any comparison?
For the V6 the mids are a bit dry.

I haven't heard the V6's, but I can safely say the Eggos are not basshead cans. You won't like them if you're into fun bass.

Aug 25, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
How about the HD25-1?

My thoughts exactly. Yes, they retail for approx. double the price of the 280's, but they sound great (imo, they sound better than the 280's) & fit the criteria you've defined: sealed, closed, small enough for portable use (low geek factor). AKG K26P look intriguing & I've seen a few positive posts on them...for the price, they seem worth a shot. I've been meaning to give these a try myself...

Peace,

Graz

Aug 25, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 27
yeah akg 26 are prety cheap...but how many cans I have to buy
smily_headphones1.gif
)I mean I am keep spending money to these cheapy cans...now that I look, I could have bought much more expensive cans with the money that I spend already..

I am tired of buying these cheapy cans and hoping that they would be fantastic..my best purchases so far are my ety er4p and senn hd280pr.. and maybe grado sr60..which I don't use alot because I dont like open cans....

anways what I wanna know is....is it worth it to spend the money for akg 26???or maybe mdr-v6..I know that it sounds diffirent than hd280 but many people seems to like it...both cans are cheapy..v6 is 69 dollars akg is 40...

so what do you guys think??

Aug 25, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #15 of 27
Well, I went out shopping tonight and listened to some akg 26. Here are some quick impressions...

- The headband adjustment is a little strange, but once you understand how it works it's no big deal.
- They're small...much smaller than they look in the photos.
- They isolate well.
- They have seriously kickin' bass...you won't be missing your beloved 280's too much in this department.
- The highs sound rolled off quite a bit to me. Some EQ would probably help this, but it is a deficiency in my mind.
- Again, for the price I think there may not be a better sealed/closed, portable headphone. In the "under $50 category", these may be about as good as it gets right now.
- Clamping force is a little high, but overall pretty comfy for a supra-aural.
- They seem fairly durable.

I also brought hd25-1 with me for comparison. These pretty much kicked butt on the 26's in the sound quality department with a much more balanced sound (but at approx. $200 retail, they better!). The hd25 are overall somewhat larger, non-foldable, and not quite as comfy. The hd25's clamping force is higher and they do get a bit uncomfortable after about an hour or so.

Lots of folks have been in exactly your position (including myself) looking for sealed, well-isolating, portable cans that sound good & have a fairly low geek factor when walking around town. The choices are fairly limited in this regard actually. I've tried most of what's out there, and if I had it to do all over again I'd drop the bucks for the hd25-1 again in a heartbeat. I've yet to hear anything that beats them given the criteria. IMHO, it's either the hd25-1 or go with some IEM's.

Peace,

Graz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back