Please help me to find a headphone amp/dac.
Dec 18, 2016 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Koalacola

New Head-Fier
Hello people of Head-fi

A few months ago you helped me to find the headphones i wanted, and could ask owners of their own opinions about them so i'm really positive that you'll be able to help me find the amp or dac or amp/dac i'm looking for. I'm new to this area as well and my knowledge is limited and mixed about them cause I've seen pages with different information. I own a Beyerdynamic Custom Studio 80ohm headphones, what i really love, but they could use something extra for even more better audio quality. Question is "what?" cause the scale of products that you can get for them is huge.
I use my Headphones mainly with the pc/laptop and i don't really take them out. Sometimes i move to other countries so having a too big external would be bothersome, heavy, i and could break.
So i'd like to have something smaller but good in performance. (dimensions around : 15x10 cm or so, books size or smaller so i can have it more secured on long travels).

Also what i don't understand is that a lot of devices only have either an usb in but no jack in but a left right connection, what can be transmuted to a stereo jack via an adapter but makes it seem like the usb port connection from the laptop to the device transmits better audio then the laptops jack out. ( i think its mainly cause of the dac element in the device but i don't know if i need it but having it wouldn't be bad i guess... not sure)

My limit right now is around 130€/150$ but if i spare some more i can increase it, but it's time dependent.

I checked:
Hifiman EF-2a's
TAGA Harmony THDA-500T
The fiio e10k olympus2 (or similar products from the brand)
Project headbox-s
Miktek HM2
I also have the chance to put my hands on the Superlux HA3D 60% off, so i'm thinking about that too.
The top for me is the Hifiman and the Taga with 200€  what can be used with a jack adapter. + usb to connect it to the laptop.

So at this point im quite lost to which one to get or get something completely different what may be better. I'm open for options.

Thank you for taking time for reading this and helping.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 8
  The Schiit Fulla 2 is a very good option right now.

XD lol nice name. i checked it. not bad availability in eu is limited a lot. and if i count in the tax then there might be better choices, but i'll keep it in mind.
  What exactly do you miss? Do your phone and laptop distort or dont your headphones sound loud enough?

Nope they are working ok. Loudness is not the problem but audio quality mainly cause of the on board audio in the laptop could be better.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 8
If you are looking for better sound maybe it would be wiser to get a better headphone. Getting an amp/dac will not result in day/night differences on your current setup.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 8
If you are looking for better sound maybe it would be wiser to get a better headphone. Getting an amp/dac will not result in day/night differences on your current setup.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I think that's not really true.
The headphones are great. and i'm pleased with their audio but the cans can produce better sound. For for example when i plugged it in my friends dedicated soundcard on his pc some things did sound better cause it can run it better then the on board integrated audio.

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 8

I think that's not really true.
The headphones are great. and i'm pleased with their audio but the cans can produce better sound. For for example when i plugged it in my friends dedicated soundcard on his pc some things did sound better cause it can run it better then the on board integrated audio.

I never said things wouldn't sound better. Just that the difference isn't as big as getting a better headphone would be. If you go with the amp/dac combo you can check the O2 by NwAvGuy and his odac as a good alternative to mass produced equipment.
Since importing from the States is quite expensive try Headnhifi.com for a european based source for kits and finished units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back