Please help me to evaluate this spectrogram
Oct 12, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 14
How does the music sound, do you like it as much as the playing original vinyl?
That's the only question you need to answer ... yourself
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 14

I can't view the attachment... but without having the master to compare to, how can we tell?

You need something to compare to in order to compare it.

Unless you are saying you EQed and want input on that... but then we'd need to separate it by channel (i.e. per instrument, voice, etc) and see the spectral waterfall for that to know if anything is stepping on each other.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 14
I couldn't see the attachment either, but if I could I have little doubt that it would look like a spectrogram.  Probably very colorful.  Lots of wavy lines.  Kind of like modern art for the graphically challenged. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 14
Ok, hang on.  I was being facetious before, so let me come right out and say it clearly this time:

You can't evaluate anything qualitatively from a single waveform OR spectrogram.  

The reason why is simple: There's no reference to compare to, and so there's no knowing what "good" or "bad" would look like.  Even if we had a reference of a somehow pure file, these things don't tell you anything qualitatively, the may (if you stare it it really hard) show up some sort of difference, a delta if you will, between two different samples.  

But qualitative evaluation is not their purpose.  A waveform shows you the envelope, a moment-to-moment graph of intensity vs time.  The spectrogram shows you spectral distribution and intensity (sort of) in a rather difficult to comprehend representation.  But again, neither will show anything qualitatively since nobody has any idea of what it should look like in the first place.  

If you want a qualitative evaluation of something you've recorded, perhaps an actual clip would stimulate more valuable response.  We can feed it into the most sophisticated qualitative evaluation system ever devised: the ear-brain system.  

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #14 of 14
I like the block feature. Its good to ignore people who claim they are experts and jump on people that give out outside info the first day the sign in. Those people need to get a life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back