Please help me to decide HD650/K701
Oct 14, 2009 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sebhuber

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

before we begin, I would like to say that my maximum budget is around 400 Euros. I am currently fluctuating between two reference class headphones, the Sennheiser HD650 and the AKG K701.
My music preferences are: Rock, Acoustic, Smooth Jazz
Particular favourites of mine are: the eagles, rolling stones, smooth female vocals etc.
Since I like a strong presence of bass, I am considering the HD650.
However, I live in the UK and Germany, so I have a limited range of amps that I can buy.
Could you please recommend me a setup (i.e. amp + cans) within my budget?
Thanks

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 8
Both these cans need decent amping else they just sound a bit flat and dull.

I personally prefer the detail the K701 presents in Jazz, especially with double-bass. Haven't really had much comparison with anything else between the two.

I will say, i love string instruments with them
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 8
In my experience the K701's match the Senn's for bass output if amped correctly. If not the bass is one of the first areas to suffer. The K701's are much better with regards clarity and detail and have a livelier sound due to greater hf extension. The HD650's only have the advantage with being smoother (due to reduced hf output), bigger bass(disregarding amp quality) and a slightly more full and powerful (but slower) sound. My HD650's have Silver Dragon v2 cable and they still are inferior to my stock K701's

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 8
I think if you like strong bass, the 650s have a clear advantage over the K701s. I own the K701 and have used it with very strong amps, it still is not as bassy as the 650s (unless the recording itself has strong bass).

Additionally, the 650s have a smoother sound that will be better suited for your rock tastes. Despite owning and liking the 701 and having owned, disliked and sold the 650s, I think the Sennheisers are a better bet for you.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 8
Just so you know, a number of people don't like the K701 at all. Personally I want to pick up a pair of HD650/600/580 at some point of time and have an extended listening session with them. I'm fence sitting, they're very nice in some areas, not so great in others. From what i'm lead to believe the Sennheisers are all-rounders. Good for everything, excell at nothing.

I'd say the Sennheisers would be better at rock, K701 + rock.. hmm. Go google buzzwords like "K701 rock bad" "K701 rock good" or whatever adjective you choose to put in there. If you like the Grado sound, go down that route perhaps? I've personally never heard Grados as i don't know anyone that owns any.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 8
Yes, I could go down the grado route, how different is the amping on these bad boys?
This would mean a decision between the SR225i and the MS2i.
I have researched both, they seem to be the "sweet-spot" of the line-up. Both seem to be preforming equally well on the technical side, the MS2 being more laid back than the Grado.
are there no suggestions for decent amps around the 200 euro mark?

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 8
As a K701 owner:

K701 pros:

Detail
Soundstage
Separation of instruments and 3D image
Beautiful Piano
Female voices
Excellent attack and decay
Ability to define the start and stop of every note with superb precision
'Almost' balanced with a moderate spike in the upper mids
Nice Midrange
Very tight bass

Cons:

Tends to de-emphasize some of the complex harmonics of various instruments, especially at low volume
Mids could sound a bit fuller.... sometimes instruments sound smaller than life and slightly bleached (due to partial omission of harmonic detail and instrument texture) My Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 has better and richer tonality in the midrange.
If a headphone had the detail of the K701 and the midrange of the Wharfedale, it would been ideal.
Slightly rolled off Treble (in comparison to good standmounts with properly engineered tweeters

Need loads of power to be driven well

Stock Cable said to be of average quality, go for the K702 and get a Cardas/Headroom Fat Pipe/ALO cable.

Works very well with the XCANV8 and the Phonitor(Acix, please advise...
k701smile.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back