Please help me tell DT990 ohms without a multimeter
Aug 3, 2020 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HereticArchitect

New Head-Fier
So I bought some DT990 Editions as they were, and I can't tell if they're the 250 or 600 ohms, since i've heard they're sort of efficient.
Since the Ipod classic 7 gen are very popular, I was thinking if somebody can:
Play an ac/dc or any popular band track on their Ipod, mp3 320, at max volume, un-amped.
For what it's worth: The "Back in Black" album, at full volume, sounds loud, not deafening, just loudly adequate, non distorted.
Thanks in advance!

Aug 3, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 7
The impedance is printed on the headphone jack. I played AC/DC's Back in Black on my EU limited iPod Classic 7G through the headphone out. The file was Apple lossless (m4a) from an old CD (so not a higher level remaster). At half volume on my Beyerdynamic DT 880 600Ω it sounded very quiet. At full volume it was reasonably loud, probably about the level I would normally listen but not particularly loud.

Aug 3, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 7
The impedance is printed on the headphone jack. I played AC/DC's Back in Black on my EU limited iPod Classic 7G through the headphone out. The file was Apple lossless (m4a) from an old CD (so not a higher level remaster). At half volume on my Beyerdynamic DT 880 600Ω it sounded very quiet. At full volume it was reasonably loud, probably about the level I would normally listen but not particularly loud.
It is not printed on mine... I checked eveywhere. Thank you very much!

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 7
Mine are printed in white letters on the ear cup DT 990 PRO 250ohm nothing on the plug except lines.
I think the OP has a DT 990 Premium and not the PRO version. Usually these have the impedance printed on the jack but the OP says there is nothing which could mean the cable was replaced.

Oct 9, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 7
So I bought some DT990 Editions as they were, and I can't tell if they're the 250 or 600 ohms, since i've heard they're sort of efficient.
Since the Ipod classic 7 gen are very popular, I was thinking if somebody can:
Play an ac/dc or any popular band track on their Ipod, mp3 320, at max volume, un-amped.
For what it's worth: The "Back in Black" album, at full volume, sounds loud, not deafening, just loudly adequate, non distorted.
Thanks in advance!
If your phone can drive the DT headphone (without labels so you can't tell impedance), it's likely 16ohm to 80ohm. If not it's likely 250 ohm. The 600ohm's are more rare and you can drive them with a phone, but not very loud and mostly at the top of their volume dial.

It's common sense really, just listen and look at your VOLUME dial setting, you should be able to guesstimate the ohm rating, the lower the drive required the lower the estimated ohm impedance rating of the headphones.

My new DT990 600ohm - 600 ohm printed on the box, labels on the metal inside of both earpieces - R(ight) DT990 Special Edition Chrome 600 ohm, L(eft) Made in Germany.
1602299603076.png
1602299655894.png
And, 600 ohm is embossed on the plastic around the cable connector end..

All the DT models sound great, and the Ohm load is going to affect how your personal hardware is going to respond - 600 ohm for traditional load Vacuum Tube amps, 250 ohm for professional environments, 16-80ohm for consumer hardware, but you can mix and match them - but the 16's can be overdriven by typical drivers designed for 600 ohm - maybe not must range available on the volume dial, and consumer hardware will have trouble driving 600 ohm / 250 ohm coils to their full potential.

Many of the coils are the same across cosmetic design changes - usually by year is the changing point for coils - but they remain stable for many years before changes.

The new T1.3 T5.3 running 32ohm is wild really, totally unexpected.

So far all of my Beyerdynamic headphones have sounded great, so don't worry about the cosmetics - the marketing guys and gals need stuff to do too - the sound will be there, just make sure you get an impedance your hardware can drive. Phones / iPods / "consumer" hardware is 16 ohm to 80 ohm, DAPs and portable DAC/AMPs can often drive up to 600ohm on balanced (dual amps, one each channel), but I'd stick to 16-80 ohm unless you have a reason to need 250ohm to 600ohm to allow your higher power amps to stretch their legs :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back