Please help me start a collection.
Oct 7, 2019 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dajokr

New Head-Fier
New member here, first post. With this year's audio budget, I've decided to step into the world of head-fi. After only owning (and liking) a pair of Senn HD650s, I've purchased the following:

- A dedicated headphone amp (Schiit Jotunheim)
- HD800s with a Moon-Audio Black Dragon balanced cable
- Campfire Audio Solaris
- Meze 99 Classics
- Focal Elegia
- AudioQuest NIghtowl Carbon

I chose the HD800S because I frequently listen to classical and acoustic music, and also I wanted the (one of the) best set of reference headphones. I wanted to demo some closed headphones as well, and ended up ordering the other three for different traits that seemed to emerge from the online reviews I've read. I am still receiving, listening and developing my own initial impressions of the latter three.

Question: Is there any other sound profile that you think is underrepresented with the collection above, and what would you recommend if I were to buy one or two more units to round out the collection? Based on my own reading and listening, I'm leaning toward something from Audeze, as I think it may have a warmer, bassier sound that will complement the others nicely.

Thanks for any responses!
Cheers,
D

Oct 7, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 16
New member here, first post. With this year's audio budget, I've decided to step into the world of head-fi. After only owning (and liking) a pair of Senn HD650s, I've purchased the following:

- A dedicated headphone amp (Schiit Jotunheim)
- HD800s with a Moon-Audio Black Dragon balanced cable
- Campfire Audio Solaris
- Meze 99 Classics
- Focal Elegia
- AudioQuest NIghtowl Carbon

I chose the HD800S because I frequently listen to classical and acoustic music, and also I wanted the (one of the) best set of reference headphones. I wanted to demo some closed headphones as well, and ended up ordering the other three for different traits that seemed to emerge from the online reviews I've read. I am still receiving, listening and developing my own initial impressions of the latter three.

Question: Is there any other sound profile that you think is underrepresented with the collection above, and what would you recommend if I were to buy one or two more units to round out the collection? Based on my own reading and listening, I'm leaning toward something from Audeze, as I think it may have a warmer, bassier sound that will complement the others nicely.

Thanks for any responses!
Cheers,
D

Audeze seems like a good counterpoint to the HD800s.

Perhaps also a tube amp?

Oct 8, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 16
Looking hard at the Audeze LCD-2 Classic.

Any suggestions on a good desktop tube amp that won't break the bank?
Move right on by the Audeze and go for ZMFs for three reasons.

Reason 1.LCD-2 doesnt sound good out of many OTL amps. Sure you can opt for a tube hybrid,but youre not really getting the full tube sound from a hybrid.
Reason 2. ZMFs share a similar warmish sound with Audeze LCD-2,but the ZMF trademark is the bass and mids,whereas the mids on LCD-2 are not very good IMO.
Reason 3. A good OTL will work wonders for ZMFs as well as your HD800s.

Breaking the bank is rather subjective. Decent OTLs from cheap,on up in price.

Darkvoice 336
La Figaro 339
Glenn OTL(highly recommended)
Woo Audio WA2

EDIT: 4th reason: ZMF has world class customer service,with a lifetime warranty on drivers,not to mention the family that makes ZMFs are super cool folks.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 16
Reason 1.LCD-2 doesnt sound good out of many OTL amps. Sure you can opt for a tube hybrid,but youre not really getting the full tube sound from a hybrid.

Transformer coupled tube amp is also an option and supposed to play nicer with planars than OTL. (I have a Phatlab Phantasy which works great with my Modhouse Argons -- but I just happened to get the Phantasy for a steal secondhand, it's normally on the painfully expensive side.)

Oct 8, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 16
personally, i think a true enthusiast should own or at the very least try one of every kind of audio platform in this hobby. DD, planar, electrostatic, iem, binural, Solidstate, tubes, cd, tape, vinyl, speakers, etc... just to feel what the world has to offer.

i plan on having the trinity in my collection. atleast one of each, Dynamic Driver, Planar and an electrostatic. for different genres and purposes.

Oct 8, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 16
You are in the land of Electrostat’s that is one I would look at but it does come with having to get another amp to run them or if you don’t mind the shipping and duty fees the Drop Koss ESP-95x is a nice introduction into Estats but you could probably find a nice little Stax setup in Japan .

Oct 8, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 16
You are in the land of Electrostat’s that is one I would look at but it does come with having to get another amp to run them or if you don’t mind the shipping and duty fees the Drop Koss ESP-95x is a nice introduction into Estats but you could probably find a nice little Stax setup in Japan .
Or Hifiman Jade 2, they were pretty good when i tried them at an audio show.

Oct 8, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 16
Or Hifiman Jade 2, they were pretty good when i tried them at an audio show.
I enjoyed the sound of the Jade 2,but the energizer needs work. Volume knob isnt very responsive. Once you get past 2o' clock on the dial the rest does very little. Also needs more power,but agree the headphone themselves are quite clear and transparent,if thats your thing.

Oct 8, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 16
Yes I like the Jade 2 as well but being the OP is in Japan a Stax setup would be more available and probably just as good for a bit less.

Oct 13, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #13 of 16
once you go down the path of an otl you limit your headphone choices...or (of course) you end up buying a solid state amp as well

depending on budgets let's not forget the solid upper-low/mid fi that drop offers which include the akg kxx, and the elex and others and the koss mentioned above or we can just head this way:
https://musicalhead.de/2018/11/20/t...meze-empyrean-audeze-lcd4z-mrspeakers-ether2/
see google translate

how long is a piece of string....it's certainly longer relative to where i started

Oct 13, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 16
Stax, Abyss or Audeze definitely are options to diversify I'd say. Also a question of budget though. You should definitely have a listen to them before buying, no point in having headphones which you don't use at all (unless you want them for collector's sake of course^^)

Another route would be going for alternative amps/dacs, however the sound difference is much smaller there compared to different headphones.

Cheers and all the best :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back